Are good manners a thing of the past in Britain?

Missing the point. At some stage, somebody would have declared that burping aloud was impolite in public as is having your elbows on the table whilst eating. Who decided, and why is it important to maintain these outdated and irrelevant modus operandi?

Outdated parents for example.

Can’t argue with that.

Ooh I knew you would change your mind!

because they put others off their food? (good reason imo)

So did I. :innocent:

Who was I kidding??? Having said that, having sat down at my piano to see if I could remember to play some simple nocturnes (why have my hands become just so disobedient???) :monkey_face: as well as looking at Chapter 2 of a Stats Textbook kinda nudged me back a bit quicker than I’d hoped :101: :101:

Not in many cultures though.

Just seems that what people are told are good or bad manners is a bit arbitrary.

that’s what I mean about peer censure. Manners are about customs and culture where you live. Usually people are aware of what’s what because others tut tut, but being indoors for so long has made people go back to default self indulgence of things that others find anti social.

1 Like

use it or lose it. I’m sure a stats textbook would nudge anyone back to anywhere !

Which pretty much renders the ops opening question as irrelevant in this multicultural country we live in.

Lost it.

Got an A level student starting in September. Can only bluff for so long, so will have to confront the issue soonish

I think so Zaphod, for instance when donkey lady goes shopping reduced foodstuff at the
super market in the evening she has often been pushed aside by usually middle aged and not
always male persons, who then go on to grab all the choice items that are put out !!
On the other hand, there are those that she has come to know, who will put some thing by for her
if they get there first!!
So, there you go, some bad, some good ??

Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Stats is so easy though. Not really maths

I don’t believe that. Just rusty.

Survival of the Thickest, simples.

Gave up the heavy practice when my hearing went awry in my teens.

Broke my wrist a few years ago which makes my left hand ache at the simplest of chords and, very oddly, my hands don’t play in sync anymore. Nearly imperceptable, but still perceptable enough.

everyone has their own microculture. As long as people don’t share their duvet farts with us!

Exactly Dex! When eating with a family of bedouin it is considered a compliment to the host
if you belch and an insult if you don’t !!
So different horses for different courses !!

Donkeyman! :hugs::hugs:

Have never really understood why some people find this sort of thing funny. Don’t find swearing overly offensive or ill mannered (in the right place), but bottom humour has never done it for me.

1 Like

Can’t accept that that is how your body works too eh Annie ??
Interesting :thinking::thinking:

Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

Personally, I prefer a nag for afternoon tiffins. :wink: