Appearance of Police Officers

It’s funny how priorities change so much over the years, isn’t it?

Back in my early days in the job, it was all about appearance. I can remember my first court appearance and I arrived ridiculously early to be inspected head to foot by the court sergeant. I was so petrified about going into the witness box, but rather than offering me some comforting words of advice, all he was focused on was making sure my shoes were clean, there were no specks on my jacket and my collar was flat. He even checked my hair, although I’m not sure how he would have dealt with things if it had been considered too long … got a pair of scissors out and done the job himself, I suspect!!

I assume the Mohican-style officer referred to has been given some dispensation about sporting any form of headwear?

I’m not surprised if the police officer with the “Mohican” style haircut didn’t get a lot of coverage in the mainstream media - most of the shock and horror was reserved for the violent murderers he had been sent to arrest and bring back to the police station.

I’d rather see that Police Officer on my doorstep than the man he brought into custody.

I find it quite amazing that anyone could spare time to think about or comment on the physical appearance of the police officers investigating these vicious crimes after they’d just watched that horrific CCTV footage of those attacks and murders.
The crime of wearing a Mohican at work pales into insignificance compared to the crimes committed by the people they were locking up.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with any of that and I’m not trying to deflect from the gravity of the crime. I’m simply commenting on how some policing priorities have vanished.

From what I saw, this Officer was wearing a big protective helmet and all the other gear when he was sent out to break down a door and apprehend a violent criminal.
From what I’ve read, his hairstyle back in Nov 2022 when this was filmed was the last of his Mohican! - it has since been cut short.

Voluntarily … :question:

I created this image using AI … since no-one queried it, I guess everyone was fooled … :wink:

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to imply that you were deflecting from the gravity of the crimes but a lack of mainstream media coverage was mentioned by other posters and I was suggesting a possible reason why the policeman in the TV documentary had not received much media coverage, compared to the crimes and criminals.

I could see it was no ordinary photo, looks cartoon/comic-strip. But there are editing apps that kinda soften an image like that.

It was the best that I could manage in 10 seconds … :man_shrugging:

I just thought he had ropey ears :grin:

I don’t think the question is about his proficiency to do the job, more a question of why doesn’t he want to conform? Have the rules become more lenient? And why? Has discipline got no place in the modern force? Or is it a woke attitude to tick all the boxes of diversity? He might be a good copper, but he certainly is ‘Diverse’

2 Likes

Strange, isn’t it? The military have retained standards and disciplinary levels throughout, and whilst I accept it’s a different type of service, ie. far less removed from public contact, so probably easier to achieve, it does make it hard to understand why policing has been the opposite.

Of course, public perceptions of the police have changed dramatically and I guess there’s an element of trying to retain and re-establish some of the links with members of the public, but I wonder how much of the training nowadays is focused on maintaining a level of professionalism?

Back in my day, training was almost entirely based around the standards to be adhered to and the professionalism associated with being a member of the police service. Much of that, unfortunately, came at the expense of a duty of care to the officers (in my opinion) and I saw numerous examples of an officer’s personal welfare being sacrificed in order to maintain a certain level of public perception.

I mentioned previously about my first court appearances, which many officers from that era will remember as being a near-literal trouser-wetting experience, but that’s just ‘how it was’ and as long as you looked the part and presented yourself well, who cared how you got through it…if you did.

So, it’s great that those days have gone. It’s just a shame things have gone so far the other way?!

1 Like

Who knows what will happen when an ego charged bloke and a bird get thrust together in a panda car, professionalism probably disappears out the window :icon_wink:

It’s not funny though is it ?
Remember Sarah Everard .

That is a very strange parallel.

I think one of the major changes to how the public view the police was when police officers were no longer local. In my village everyone knew the local bobbies because they lived in the village, their children went to the same school as everyone else’s kids, and they were part of the community like the vicar or doctor. They also knew who were the local scallies and where they lived, and they knew who your Dad was, so woe betide if you were caught doing something you shouldn’t have been. You Dad would be waiting for you with a clip round the ear when you got home. Now the police are just a part of the faceless establishment. But they really are just people like you and me and have feelings and opinions, and still do a very good job.

vicars and doctors too :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like