Anyone thought about emigrating elsewhere?

…Not Spain…With a GFC…which could take place at any time, and probably without any warning, Spain will be among the first of the European nations, closely following Italy, to go down. In fact, avoid Europe altogether. In stead…think…CANADA…

Well it was our intention to buy a camper van after we sell the house and spend at least 6 months of the year travelling and just trekking about all over the place.

It wont happen now but it was a nice dream.

I intended to retire to Tuscany to keep Tony and Cherie company, not going to happen now.

We were due to emigrate to New Zealand many years ago, but, unfortunately, it all fell through. Other than that, Italy would be my choice. The history, culture, people, food, wine etc are excellent.

My husbands family were all due to emigrate to New Zealand when he was small but his mother backed out at the last minute. They had their tickets and everything. His Dad was furious as his best mate and family were going at the same time.

His Dad regretted it until the day he died (and he was only 62) and every time he and his wife had a row this would be dragged up and some furious rows resulted.

His mate and family settled down there and did really well and used to send photos of their new life but my FIL would never go and visit because he was sad at what he had missed out on.

About a year ago I went to BBQ in a nearby park with a friend and their family (grandkids etc) they had visitors from England (Birmingham or Durham I think) who had originally come out to Australia with them over 30 years ago.

After the minimum two years (for an assisted passage) this family had returned to England because the husband hadn’t been able to settle down here whereas my friends had stayed and brought up their family here.

We were all talking when the husband said something along the lines of, “This is a really beautiful spot look at how much fun the kids are having.” The wife said very bitterly, “Yes, and our kids had the chance of having this and you took it from them.”

These sort of resentments run very deep.

^^^^Made up Story ^^^^ :wink:

You’re talking out of your arse again, it was a true story. Why on earth would I make it up? You could have cut the air with a knife afterwards for several minutes. As I say family resentments run deep.

Sorry sounds like a made up story.

Or her Marraige is in trouble and she has belittle him.

Why would it be made up?

I often thought about emigration when I was younger but I married a Yorkshire man and unless he could take Yorkshire and Yorkshire folk with him he was having none of it.

We holidayed for 3 weeks in Canada a few years ago and we both agreed it might have been a good idea to have considered it more seriously… I know deep down though no way would he have moved even though Canada was so lovely.

I have to make one correction to that episode I related. They didn’t come out 30 years ago it was actually more like over 50 years ago in the early 1960s.

well actually YOU sound like a made up story too - is galty your proper name??:shock:

Spain . We lived there for two years on the Costa del Sol and would go back in a heartbeat. We had to come back but we will return one day no doubt about it. The climate does us both the world of good. Winter is here and gone so fast we barely noticed it.

Someone mentioned not liking tiled floors, we loved ours, so cool in summer and rugs in the floor in winter, job done.

Spain is our paradise.

Leave my beloved Scottish Highlands, no I could never do that…:smiley:

Yes I ‘ken’ wot ya mean - motored around Scotland in 2000 and it was magic - it WAS and IS a different country from the rest of UK.

Thinking about buying a place in Spain a few years back-with a view of retiring there but as the time came near my wife had second thoughts we still holiday there and occasionally look what might have been.

Been there! Done that!

Lived in London, practically my whole life. Emigrated to Scotland almost 4 years ago.

Portugal is a nice place, don’t think it’s been mentioned yet.

But, on the long term, I wouldn’t live anywhere other than London.

No, I would find a move like that unsettling no matter how nice the weather and locals may be.

which part of you would be unsettled Ffosse? just askin?