Anyone have a claim to fame? Just for fun!

Oh they don’t like someone else getting attention, do they, haha!! But how funny that someone thought you’d made the show - pity JM didn’t hear that :rofl:. Not surprised you went off him!

Oh dear, not used to having to queue with the hoi polloi, haha!

That’s actually good to know, because they always come across as nice, down to earth people.

Well good for you! Just because she’s ‘someone’ doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be subject to the same rules of play as everyone else. (Do you think you would have challenged her if you had realised who she was? I hope you would have!)

Well not quite everyone - @mart got a ‘big fat b…d’ certificate for eating a big breakfast at a hotel. Not a sleb in sight!

Thank you for the exemption from the rule, are you an ex Auditor by any chance. :smiley: :biking_man:

1 Like

Haha, no. An ex office administrator - actually a terribly disorganised office administrator :woozy_face:

Aren’t we all. :grinning: :biking_man:

1 Like

Not any more. I play solo. I used to be in a senior band , a stage bend and a smaller band. In the senior band and stage bend I played alto saxophone. In the smaller band I sang and played keyboards

We played semi professionally in the stage band years after high school but then I moved to the country.

Now I do volunteer work playing soprano saxophone and singing at nursing homes and other events. Before I read sheet music. Now I pick songs I like and play them in a preferred key of my choosing and it’s heavenly.

I think I did a bit of unintentional bragging
Sorry about that :face_with_hand_over_mouth::sweat_smile:

What does your brother play and what type of music? How many people are in the band he plays in?

3 Likes

When I was an apprentice, I played a few tunes on a tenor saxophone along with my fellow apprentice who had a drumkit. It was for the company annual Christmas party. I sat down after the turn and three girls were all squabbling to sit on my knees. I felt a bit stifled by it. They walked part of the way home with me but then someone from the party pulled up in a car and offered them a lift. They all piled in and there I was …alone again naturally.

1 Like

Sorry for the slight off-topic.

This sounds wonderful. Will we get to hear some of it some time?

1 Like

Many moons ago I worked for Granada TV and we were given the treat of a visit to Coronation St - met Elsie Tanner, Len Fairclough, and Annie Walker - can’t remember their real names.

Was at a back stage party with Cliff Richard and the Shadows, have danced with Tommy Steele at a Ball in Leeds, met Ravi Shankar, also in Leeds.

Was in a choir that appeared on ‘Stars on Sunday’ with the horrid Jess Yates.

Have danced with Ballet Rambert (only once - but it was fun)

Have given talks to Third year Theology Students on the History of Witchcraft and on Tolkien.

Had poems and short stories published - if that counts.

3 Likes

I’ve never recorded myself but I’d like to . My biggest problem is I’m technically challenged.
I get frustrated easily learning new computer stuff but I do love a challenge so maybe.

By the way, cable tv wasn’t anything to brag about. The only people who watched these shows were family and some friends. It was so insignificant that I’d forgotten about it until I saw this thread.

Thank you butterscotch. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Aww don’t go off James Jazzi…him saying he would nic your sunbed is just the Yorkshire sense of humour … .I luvs our James :slight_smile:

1 Like

What incredibly talented musicians on here
Love listening to the sax
I periodically tried to play the guitar but after about 20 years gave up could never do the F chord.

2 Likes

I love sax too…the most recognised opener to a song has to be Gerry Rafferys Baker Street…a bit of trivia here Raphael Ravenscroft the saxophonist was paid only £27 for that performance and the cheque bounced :slight_smile:

I wish I could play a musical instrument …well done Bratti :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Re James Martin. That was the second demo I went to (the first I was seated up on a balcony) but on the second he came on dragging a sun bed, which had prompted the joke. When he pulled me up, he had been showing us how to make spun sugar, and as I carried on my own demo, and finished up with the ‘ta da’ bow, he was saying ‘Janet, don’t milk it!’ But hey, I was enjoying myself. Nowt wrong with that.

On Top Gear, there was always a refreshment break at half time where we all went outside to the tables for drinks and snacks, and the presenters would join us. I asked JC for his autograph and he threw down his fag, to do so, which I felt bad about and even said ‘oh you didn’t need to do that.’ I have also met JM and RH at other functions and again they were politeness personified. At a literary festival RH’s wife was there (this was to launch the book they co-wrote after his accident), and I shook her hand too.

James was at the same festival, and I met up with a few fellow TG fans. I spent a couple of nights staying in Cheltenham, and went on to the Cotswolds.

I first met one of them, James, at a car show in Guildford (I drove all the way there from East London, simply because I wanted to see him), and he walked over to me at the barrier, thrusting the mic at me. Oh.My.God, I was shaking!! The great James May had come over to speak to me. Argh!!!

I didn’t know it at the time but a fellow forum friend was there with her family. We never did meet up, lol.

2 Likes

I have a current claim to fame…I am cover girl on the front cover of a local magazine!!

3 Likes

No, that wasn’t bragging, because I asked you about it and you simply told me :wink:. What an interesting life you’ve had musically. My brother plays in a rock band, he has played lead and bass guitar in different line-ups, he can also play keyboard (self taught). I think currently there are 5, maybe 6, people in the band.

1 Like

And yes, I did sing those last three words :grin:

Nothing like. I thought that he was very aware of the gulf between his grandparent and himself. He never mentioned him of course. The great man is not noted for his computer related skills. What we discussed was related to his PC.

1 Like

If you cannot post a picture then it ain’t happening. :rofl:

2 Likes