Anyone else had the sun scorching plants during this heatwsave?Scorch?

A huge frog, or maybe it was a toad, hopped into my kitchen this morning & it looked very dry!:frowning: I put him under the shelter of a big bush and poured cool water under there for him.

I haven’t done any mowing though :lol:

They can definitely be over-watered. When I went away for a week, I left plastic bottles of water with tiny holes in, in the Acer pots and it was just enough to keep them going until I got back. Mind you, it wasn’t as hot then.

Are your Acers in pots Twink or in the ground?

I find the light green ones suffer the most.

That’s one good thing.

A couple of plants have been scorched even though I’ve watered them

I think we’ve finally been promised some decent downpours for this Friday. Yipeeee. .

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/rain/t111077.gif

My Purple Loosestrife didn’t seem to be flowering for very long this year. It’s a pond version so I made sure the roots were always wet but the flowers have faded really quickly. I suppose that must be down to scorch.

I’m almost ready to give up on my garden this year dongles. :frowning:

I’m dreading my water bill as well!

What a shame Mups. I know you always put so much effort into it. Luckily, we are not on a meter here. Had some rain earlier but it barely filled a quarter of the water butt. :cry:

I would like another water butt fitted dongles, I must get a couple of prices as I’ve no idea what it should cost.
How long do you reckon one should take to fit roughly?

I suppose it depends on where it is to be sited. Mine was an easy fit and took me about fifteen minutes. If you already have one, you can fit another next to it via a linking kit (just need a couple of holes drilling)

In either case I doubt it would take anyone more than an hour unless perhaps you have cast iron down pipes.

Had to bin a lot of my pot plants, burnt and just really unhealthy looking so decided they’re not worth the effort. :frowning:

Lawn looks bad but hopefully it will recover…

Somehow the lawn always seems to recover when the rain returns.

and you think ya gotta drought asked Paul Hogan - nah that’s just a hiccup in ya weather chart. This is a drought!!:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/22/have-you-been-affected-by-the-drought-in-australia?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+AUS+v1±+AUS+morning+mail+callout&utm_term=281775&subid=26363714&CMP=ema_632

Yes I have a pal whose South facing bay window shattered with the heat she said it was like an explosion when it happened and scared her half to death :slight_smile:

Back to the OP yes Hydrangea leaves…still looks pretty though :slight_smile:

I pass a short line of Horse Chestnut trees on my way to the bus stop. Normally at this time of year they are producing the familiar ‘conkers’ - all green, round and plump. This year they are shriveled to the size of peas and the leaves are all scorched.

http://www.over50sforum.com/picture.php?albumid=1081&pictureid=12159

I wonder if that is the heat Tabs, or if it is that disease of horse chestnut trees that is spreading all over the country, though yours do certainly look scorched.

Poor trees don’t look good do they, hope it doesn’t make the roots unstable for the winter gales.

They were looking OK before this awful heatwave struck, Mups.

Unfortunately my hosepipe won’t reach that far!

Well slap my arse with a boomerang.

Only if I can sell tickets for the event !:smiley: