Any one read The Egyptian Book of the Dead?

I have been wanting to read it for decades but have not done so as yet… :skull:

Is that one of the Harry Potter collection?

2 Likes
1 Like

Err No, I saw the havoc that was created in “The Mummy” when that book was read from. I’ll give it a wide berth thanks. :open_book: :astonished:

2 Likes

Yes Bretrick I have, some years ago, might just have to put a copy on the Amazon wishlist. If you are interested it might be worth reading up a little on Ancient Egyptian religion/theology first before delving into the really heavy stuff :+1:

1 Like

Probably better to be on the safe side Rox😉

1 Like

This is what I was meaning Chilliboot. :astonished:

2 Likes

Can you tell me a bit more about the book please

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=egyptian+book+of+the+dead&sca_esv=579431573&sxsrf=AM9HkKlmYah2hXTD6LPgmHvIcD3WxVmPkA%3A1699098234963&source=hp&ei=ei5GZc-qOP-whbIPqb6-uAM&oq=&gs_lp=EhFtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1ocCIAKgIIATIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIHECMY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJzIHECMY6gIYJzIHECMY6gIYJzIKECMYigUY6gIYJ0j4HlAAWABwAXgAkAEAmAEAoAEAqgEAuAEByAEAqAIP&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp

1 Like

Oooh… haven’t seen that one, a very nasty manifestation indeed by the looks of it , yes, it’s probably best not to dabble :wink:

1 Like

It’s an excellent film and so is it’s follow up. lots of comedy and lots of scary bits. Never tire of watching them when they come on the telly.

1 Like

I’m convinced… I’ll check out Amazon prime :+1:

Just meant for dead people isn’t it but how can it be read when you’re dead? Furthermore, who wrote it? Not anybody with experience.

It’s meant as a guide to ensure eternal divine resurrection. Dead yes but judged to be true of voice, the negative confession and all that…it gets very involved.

1 Like

Is it really heavy reading ? I’m reluctant to buy if so . Just tried for a free sample from amazon to my kindle but not offerd

Taken from Britannica

Book of the Dead, ancient Egyptian collection of mortuary texts made up of spells or magic formulas, placed in tombs and believed to protect and aid the deceased in the hereafter. Probably compiled and reedited during the 16th century BCE, the collection included Coffin Texts dating from c. 2000 BCE, Pyramid Texts dating from c. 2400 BCE, and other writings. Later compilations included hymns to Re, the sun god.
Numerous authors, compilers, and sources contributed to the work. Scribes copied the texts on rolls of papyrus, often colourfully illustrated, and sold them to individuals for burial use. Many copies of the book have been found in Egyptian tombs, but none contains all of the approximately 200 known chapters. The collection, literally titled “The Chapters of Coming-Forth-by-Day,” received its present name from Karl Richard Lepsius, the German Egyptologist who published the first collection of the texts in 1842.

1 Like

It is heavy going Susan, there’s simply no getting away from that. This is the version I used to have. Wallis Budge’s translation uses plenty of thous thees etc. I read a review somewhere suggesting that the language he uses is somewhat reminiscent of The King James Bible which is true.

It is quite beautiful to read although the content doesn’t really make much sense to our lives in the present day. I guess it’s just personal choice as to whether or not you want to splash out thirteen quid.

2 Likes

@Bretrick Are you referring to the writing of the German Egyptologist Karl Richard Lepsius?

I was thinking of Wallis Budge

1 Like

Yep, I read it in the original …nail biting stuff , I went out and bought a lot of bandages

1 Like