Any ideas on what this might be?

It’s mold.

I used to drive for a bakery years ago, and I have seen bread in every state of it’s ageing process. Orange doesn’t usually appear until well over a week. Are you sure the loaf was in date when you bought it?

I am a compulsive label checker - so Yes - it was well in date!

I sort of guessed you would be. :grinning:

I am too, actually.

Mum used to make us sandwiches with cheap salmon paste, looked just like that… :joy:

1 Like

My mum did too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have sent an email to Warburton’s and attached the photos - so watch this space!

I will see what response comes back from Warburton’s before involving TS, Baz. The fault may be mine - but I cannot think I have done anything differently.

Their response should be interesting, hopefully it will not be down to you.
:grinning:

How about keeping a sliced loaf in the freezer and getting slices out as needed? That stops bread from going mouldy

I do that with all my bread all the time and there’s never been a problem. Unsliced bread is nice to have fresh but I find it can never be used up in time before it goes stale.

It may be a while before I buy another - but will do that, Mart, could vac pack it in batches of 4 x slices.

Or - alternatively - I could just learn to slice the stuff properly - then I wouldn’t have to buy it. My home made bread keeps really well. I only buy the small sliced because it fits the sandwich toaster!

A vacuum pack could stick the slices too tightly together and they would be a job to separate when frozen. Just keeping the loaf in the package it came in should be OK. Try to spread the slices as much as possible without opening the package. If the slices do stick together, a blunt table knife will usually separate them.

1 Like

Just received this email back from Warburton’s :-

[quote]Dear …

Thank you for contacting us via our website.

I’m sorry to read that you have found pink mould on one of our loaves and we would very much like to fully investigate this. To enable me to progress your complaint, can you please confirm if it was the 400G Medium or Toastie you purchased along with the best before date and batch code off the tie label.

Please accept my apologies for this unpleasant experience and the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Cathy

CUSTOMER CARE DEPARTMENT[/quote]

Have responded telling them I cannot supply that information as I dumped everything in the garden incinerator for fear of further contamination.

That’s a shame ST and I don’t suppose you thought to take any photographs, that’s also a good reference when complaining. Not to worry though, at least you notified them and if they have had other complaints the same your’s will be added to those. :grinning:

After 50 years of eating wholemeal bread white bread always looks like there is something wrong with it anyway.

Be careful with the white vinegar and boiling water you could be destroying the next medical breakthrough or the cure for cancer/covid

1 Like

Only the photos with my first post, Baz.

Second reply from Warburton’s :-1:

[quote]Dear xxxxxx

Thank you for your emails which confirm it was the medium sliced loaf.

Unfortunately, without the batch code our investigation is very limited as we can’t retrieve any information from the manufacture time of the loaf or indeed which of our bakeries it was produced at. Pink mould is extremely rare and if you do have a complaint of this nature reported, you would normally see a cluster of them which we don’t have.

My advice would be what you have done by thoroughly cleaning your kitchen due to any mould spores that could have been released. If this does happen again, please keep hold of the best before date and batch code to enable us to investigate further.

Please accept the vouchers I have arranged to be posted to you as a gesture of our goodwill and to reimburse you for your purchase. Due to covid restrictions there may be a small delay to receiving the vouchers as they are sent via a central office. Vouchers are accepted at most major retailers although I am aware retailers under the discount category i.e. Aldi, Lidl, Home Bargains and similar do not accept vouchers of any kind.

Once again, thank you very much for bringing this matter to our attention and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

CUSTOMER CARE DEPARTMENT[quote]

They can’t be fairer than that, can they. I did make it clear in my email that I was not ascribing any blame to them - just seeking advice - but they are still sending me vouchers - which is very kind under the circumstances.

Any type of complaint regarding food or beverages usually results in a few vouchers winging their way to you.

1 Like

That photograph, with the other information Warburgons wanted, would have been ideal. I’ve made complaints myself in the past, not Warburtons though, and have sent the e-mail with photos of the problem, plus all label information. That way the manufacturer has something to go on and you have the proof of what it looked like to you.

They’ve treated you quite well considering the lack of information, you might even find what they send you is over and above the cost of the loaf as that is ofen what happens, :grinning: