Any ideas on what this might be?

Opened the bread bin with the idea I would make a cheese and ham toastie for my lunch. I had four slices left of a small Warburton’s sliced - bought (on Saturday) specifically because it fits the Breville perfectly. Could not believe my eyes!

Have seen bread turn black/grey even green and furry in humid conditions - but Pink??

Any ideas? Might have to ask Warburton’s the same question!

IMG_9362 (2)
IMG_9361 (2)

1 Like

Apparently:

Pink mold on food

Pink moldy formations on food may not be mold at all, but rather bacteria growing. Aureobasidium and Fusarium are also two common fungi that grow with a pinkish colour.

Pink mold is most often seen on bread, dairy products and meat. Dangers of pink mold include infection of the respiratory, gastro-intestinal or urinary tracts.

Yikes

:scream:

2 Likes

Yikes indeed - how has something like that gotten into my clean kitchen!

Am boiling water and reaching for the white vinegar!

That looks very much to me as though Warburton’s should be contacted and advised of the problem.

Also, perhaps Trading Standards would be interested. There may have been other cases of this and after reading Omah’s post and in view of how serious that could be, you might also be doing other people a favour. :grinning:

1 Like

Blimy

1 Like

Do you think it might have been already in the bread or on the wrapper then, Baz?

Have never had a problem with their bread before. Mostly I make my own - but am useless at slicing it - hence I occasionally buy a small Warburton’s for making toasties.

Looks horrid - doesn’t it? Have scoured the bread bin with boiling water and white vinegar - but think I may dump it anyway. It is a pine one so that bacteria may have penetrated the wood. Might buy a ceramic one to be safe!

2 Likes

After reading Omah’s post in which the information on Fusarium mentioned “They [bacteria] grow in soil and on plants and grains.” I just thought it might already have been in the bread as it could have come from the grain. That being the case then others might have found the same. Trading Standards, as far as I am aware, deals with complaints like that. Other customers may have found the same and if there has been anyone whose health has been affected in some way, Trading Standards would be the organisation that would deal with that. They become involved when there are cases of food poisoning so others may benefit from any report to them involving food.

It’s mold.

I used to drive for a bakery years ago, and I have seen bread in every state of it’s ageing process. Orange doesn’t usually appear until well over a week. Are you sure the loaf was in date when you bought it?

I am a compulsive label checker - so Yes - it was well in date!

I sort of guessed you would be. :grinning:

I am too, actually.

Mum used to make us sandwiches with cheap salmon paste, looked just like that… :joy:

1 Like

My mum did too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have sent an email to Warburton’s and attached the photos - so watch this space!

I will see what response comes back from Warburton’s before involving TS, Baz. The fault may be mine - but I cannot think I have done anything differently.

Their response should be interesting, hopefully it will not be down to you.
:grinning:

How about keeping a sliced loaf in the freezer and getting slices out as needed? That stops bread from going mouldy

I do that with all my bread all the time and there’s never been a problem. Unsliced bread is nice to have fresh but I find it can never be used up in time before it goes stale.

It may be a while before I buy another - but will do that, Mart, could vac pack it in batches of 4 x slices.

Or - alternatively - I could just learn to slice the stuff properly - then I wouldn’t have to buy it. My home made bread keeps really well. I only buy the small sliced because it fits the sandwich toaster!