Any denture wearers?

Hi! I’m new here. Any new denture wearers? I just got mine a few days back. I can see this is going to be a journey. Had my first real food this morning - 2 scrambled eggs. Oh and first cup of coffee!! Who would have thought that would take some getting used to chewing. Can’t wait till my first adjustment and especially being healed up enough to use some adhesive on my bottom denture. Right lower jaw at the back is the only area the denture is giving me some discomfort so far.

3 Likes

Welcome and I hope it goes well for you :wave:

I don’t need them at the moment but if I lose any more I will

Did you consider implants?

Not here, still brushing, what’s left. :grin:

I can only relay my mum’s experience, which was traumatic. Having to be fitted with dentures aged 87 after her bridge support failed was a major lifestyle change. it’s amazing how tough some meat is (just sliced ham or well cooked chicken). So many foods that are too tough to eat. She is ok (now 90) but I can’t say she has ever gotten used to them and no longer eats many foods.

The dentist recommended implants which she rejected but they are probably the best solution if you can afford it.

Implants, if they were more affordable, might be a problem. I have osteopenia and bone loss that had to be addressed for the dentures, to start with.

1 Like

Wow, at 87 that must have really knocked the heck out of her. I’m 75 and it’s taking me a while to bounce back - forget the healing time. I’ve had major surgery in the past and didn’t get tired this easily recuperating.

1 Like

No dentures yet, but who knows what the future might bring… I’ve a dental appointment Monday :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Welcome to 50+ & Good luck with those dentures Floridagal

I’m lucky no dentures still have all my teeth apart from one implant which is great but I agree very expensive

I have a pal who has a full set of implants…they look good but they cost a lot and they cost to maintain too.

she healed pretty well considering she is on blood thinners. It was getting used to the dentures that was the trauma. She said it’s the one thing that has really ruined her quality of life. That’s saying a lot at her age.

I’m sorry implants have been ruled out. They can do bone grafts is that not an option?

I have an upper rear set of dentures but only use them if i want to attack a steak as the front teeth can cope with all soft foods

A friend of mine also had osteopenia but her dentist said implants would be fine. Her teeth on her whole upper jaw were extracted and a number of implants put in, then loaded with an upper jaw bridge. Within a couple of months she had some problems and was treated by another dentist in the same practice. The poor workmanship this dentist saw caused her to contact the head of the practice who advised my friend to sue the original dentist…which she did, successfully.
When checking the dentist you can find their specific qualifications on the General Dental Council website.