Anti Virus Software

AV Software

Is it really necessary nowadays on a home computer?

Do You have it installed on your machine? And, if so, are you paying for it, or is it free?

McAfee was included on my new PC, it’s just expired after 3 months, I’m getting emails and pop-ups saying it should be renewed/paid for. I’ve been using my W10 laptop for 5 years with no AV, no prob.

So I googled it and, once past all the sites that directly or indirectly want to sell you some, I found this:

"… most experts agree that the built-in antivirus protections on any major system … already protect against viruses just as well as the major programs people can pay for. It’s important, however, for users to keep their systems protected through automatic software updates offered by all major software providers.
… Microsoft Defender, the free and automatic antivirus program now built into Windows, has gotten so effective that it’s as good as anything customers can pay for … "

nbc news

1 Like

Mac’s have a firewall built in, along with a number of other security features :smiley:

Linux machines also have similar firewalls.

Windows… not so sure :lol:

1 Like

Microsoft Defender antivirus review

Microsoft Defender is a free built-in antivirus for Windows OS. It was previously known as Windows Defender until the 10th of May, 2020, and now also appears as Windows Security in the newest Windows 10 updates.

It is a convenient antivirus solution for Windows users and has a bunch of security features centered around device and online protection from spyware, adware, ransomware, and other malware. The fact that Windows Defender comes built-in and completely free for all Windows devices also adds to the universal appeal of the antivirus software.

However, despite its convenience and somewhat acceptable protection capabilities, Microsoft Defender is lacking in some departments, and users are still left to fend for themselves when it comes to certain online threat-related situations.

Our in-house test results also were very good – the firewall and real-time protection worked like a charm. It detected and instantly deleted 9 out of 10 zero-day threats. However, during the scanning process, for which the firewall and real-time protection have to be disabled, 10 out of 10 malicious files were allowed through, and only one Trojan was found. Essentially, the scans are pretty much nothing against zero-day threats.

All in all, while Microsoft Defender can be considered a relatively safe antivirus solution, it may not be as good as some of the other antiviruses regarded as the best in the market.

For Windows 10, most AV software seems overweight, overkill and overpriced - I’ve tried most and had trouble getting rid of some.

For me, Microsoft Defender performs an adequate first line-of-defence job.

1 Like

Our bank supplies us with Malwarebytes premium on all of our devices.

always used Microsoft Defender…never used a premium AV I find it as good as any paid-for AV

Antivirus programs have always been a mixed bag with varying efficiencies. Some of them bury themselves so far into your system, they are impossible to get rid of completely. Some of them become unstable and erratic with use and may try to take over your browser and other apps when you don’t want them to.

I would say that up until recently, they have been a necessary evil to guard against “cyber-nasties”, even if they can create issues and problems. These days Microsoft Defender has become highly resilient and one of the best things which comes with Windows and is updated often, making third party programs obsolete.

I’ve never used AV products on my iPads

1 Like

iPads do not need antivirus software, unlike Macs, Windows, and Android devices. Unless you jailbreak your phone, all of your apps will come through Apple’s official App Store. Apple isolates each app in the app store so that it can’t infiltrate or infect other systems, so viruses aren’t possible.

However, through fake ads, phishing, and attachments, some types of malware can get through.

Jailbreaking allows you to access unofficial apps and tweaks for your iPad.

1 Like

Thanks all :023: … so kinda as I thought.

This has been my little experiment, having nothing of value on my lappy, and not using it for internet banking or buying stuff. So now I’m gonna stick with Defender on my main PC.

I just use whatever comes with my laptop. If that runs out and I have to pay, I switch to the free version of Avast, and just renew it (free) every so often. I just use it for email, and browsing so there are no connections or syncing to anything financial.

I tend to agree with what others have written, my subscription to Bit Defender runs until next year but I won’t renew. I got fed up with its constant reminders about it’s other services so that when I recently reset my desktop I didn’t reinstall it and rely on Win Defender

Anti Virus companies are one of those mobs that treat new customers better than their existing users by offering really good deals to join them so I was always changing software but now Defender is good enough I and not going to bother again.

The danger with this is that soon there will be no competition to M$ and they will slacken off or even change to a subscription model.

Thanks for the info

1 Like

I have a Mask, over the Router :laughing: