Another Day, Another Project

In my camper I have a TV, a sound bar and a rather old WDTVLive which plays downloaded files of Movies and TV Series. I don’t use it much but it passes the time when one is stuck.

I can run all these devices from the mains or the campers battery/solar system but changing over was a bit of a fiddly process as, for example the power plug for the TV is behind it. I ran a few power leads to a common point where I could either plug in a lead from the battery or from the equipment’s supplied transformer power supply.

To tidy it up I needed a way to capture the ends of these leads so I made some measurements and designed a simple holder in OpenSCAD.

The slots are for the actual cable, then the end is pushed into the round hole.

I made a test piece for fit

cable holder test piece

Printed that out, made a couple of minor adjustments and printed it out completely with the adjustments (I also added labels to the front so you knew which power supply went where.

It fits quite well, I haven’t screwed it into place yet as I haven’t decided on the best position but am pleased with the result.

If you are a glutton for punishment here is the OpenSCAD code so you can make your own.

// Holder for 12v 5.5mm by 2.1mm

plugdia=11.5;  //widest part of plug 11.3
pluglen=22.9;  //length of plug
plugtail=7.6;  //plug tail max diameter
cabledia=3.6;  //cable diameter
wood=20;       //wood thickness
thk=2;         //material thickness
screw=3;        //diameter of screw 4g 

sizeob=(plugdia)+(thk*2);
moveob=(sizeob/2)+thk;

//end variables

$fn=80;

//base
difference(){
    translate([0,0,0])cube([(sizeob*3)+(thk*4),wood*1.7,thk]);

for(a=[0:2]){
        translate([(sizeob/2)+thk+(thk*a)+(sizeob*a),moveob,-1])cylinder(thk*2,d=sizeob); 
        translate([sizeob/2+thk+(thk*a)+(sizeob*a),0,+1])cube([cabledia,moveob+thk,thk*2 ],center=true);  //slot           
    } 
//screwholes  
     for (a=[1:2:3]){       
         translate([(((sizeob*3)+(thk*4))/4)*a,sizeob+thk+wood/2,-1]) cylinder(h=thk*2,d=screw);

// Labels
    translate([(sizeob/2)+thk,sizeob+(thk*2.5),1])rotate([0,180,180])linear_extrude(height=1)
    text("WD",size=5,halign="center",valign="center");

translate([(sizeob/2)+(thk*2)+sizeob,sizeob+(thk*2.5),1])rotate([0,180,180])linear_extrude(height=1)
    text("TV",size=5,halign="center",valign="center");

translate([(sizeob/2)+(thk*3)+sizeob*2,sizeob+(thk*2.5),1])rotate([0,180,180])linear_extrude(height=1)
    text("SB",size=5,halign="center",valign="center");         

}
}

//Three sockets

for (a=[0:2]){
     translate([(sizeob/2)+thk+(thk*a)+(sizeob*a),moveob,0]) socket(); 
 }   

module socket(){

difference(){
        translate([0,0,0])cylinder(pluglen+thk,r=(plugdia/2)+thk);

translate([0,0,-thk])cylinder(pluglen+thk,r=plugdia/2);  //interia
        translate([0,0,0])cylinder(pluglen*2,r=plugtail/2);
        translate([-cabledia/2,-sizeob/2-cabledia,-1])cube([cabledia,moveob+thk,pluglen*2 ]);  //slot  
    }    
}    

That took half my Sunday the rest was mowing.

6 Likes

You’ve probably mentioned it somewhere on the forums Bruce, but what was your day job back in the day?

Gosh, that’s a question but nothing to do with 3D printing that’s just a hobby and recent purchase.

I started off in electronics and telecommunications when I left school but have had lots of different jobs over the years, worked with business machines, in TV, theatre, ended up in coal and gas fired power stations in electricity generation and steel making. I’ve even been a postman and helped my first wife with her artist management business! (not too much)

Done a lot of programming in VBA for industrial purposes but started in 1980 with a System 80 computer as a hobby. Ran a BBS for 10 years (sort of a forum - pre Internet)

Nothing very exciting I am afraid but interesting enough for me.

I’m enjoying learning OpenSCAD, still very much a beginner, the code in the OP is really the first time I have used the FOR command for example. Very different to VBA.

2 Likes

There’s understanding technology, but the ability to translate that understanding into innovative practical solutions is in the realms of genius.

1 Like

Congratulations & Respect. Made interesting reading.
Unfortunately, despite long ago, having been a Marine insurance Degaussing surveyor. All too contemporary techie now.
As found, when attempting to resolve mass Pixilation of TV… Due to other generated electromagnetic fields. Near or close to the same transmission frequencies. Much filtration needed.
From your submits. Rather suspect the expensive, but 10yo. TV’s degaussing circuits are caput.! :upside_down_face:
Thank you for having posted the insight.

I fear degausing went out the window with the cathode ray tube but when I worked in TV it was a sort of degausing machine that we used to bulk erase 2" video tape however on one of my son’s minehunter regular degausing is a feature.

Sadly another skill no longer needed was my slight reputation as a bit of a whiz with a valve tester matching output valves etc :wink: :wink:

1 Like

Have had a quick redesign. I already had a hook design that fits the rail on the front of the shelf in my camper so slightly redesigned the whole thing.

cable holder full with hook 1

cable holder full with hook 2

Haven’t printed this out yet but it looks OK. Put in a screwhole but that might not be necessary

1 Like

Printed the new version and like it better, fits well. Terrible pics taken with phone in the dark cabin but you get the idea.