Anne Sacoolas

I don’t really understand.

The article says there will be a hearing with a video link, then her lawyers say she hasn’t agreed to participate?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10305411/amp/Harry-Dunns-alleged-killer-appear-Westminster-Magistrates-Court-month.html

And if they found her guilty and sentenced her, presumably she wouldn’t come back here to serve that sentence?

I’d be glad for her parents that there will be a hearing, but unless she comes back, justice still can’t be served

Do you think this is connected to the Assange thing?

I don’t think the charge is enough anyway and that it’s very suspicious that her mobile phone records have gone “missing”.

It should be a charge of involuntary manslaughter with the possibility of a prison sentence if she’s found guilty. That’s what they’d do in the US.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/vehicular-manslaughter-driving-related-homicides.html

1 Like

Copt this tonight, thought wait and see.

1 Like

If a British person had committed a crime in the US then returned to the UK - would they be taken back to the US to face trial? UK law is based on precedent.
Anne Sacoolas should most definitely be extradited to the UK to face charges for manslaughter.
There is NO WAY Julian Assange should be part of the deal! Makes me wonder if Boris is getting something in his back pocket!!!

3 Likes

I agree.

3 Likes

Our beetroot flavoured Deputy PM Barnaby Joyce has suddenly spoken up about Julian Assange saying that he should either be tried in the UK (where the alleged crime was committed) or deported to Australia.

It’s about time this government got some balls and stood up for its citizens.

2 Likes

I notice the news reports I’ve seen do NOT say Anne Sacoolas will physically return to the UK! Apparently she will “face the UK justice system”; “Case to go before UK court”.

Boris needs to stand up for UK justice!

1 Like

Yep seems a bit ambiguous at the moment.

1 Like

More “negotiating with favours” from Boris? Wonder what he’s going to get this time…another holiday on some private island?

3 Likes

I have some sympathy for this driver.

Having done plenty of trips, back & forth, to the USA, back in the day, I can remember times when, after the longish flight, and the basic stress of doing the trip, I’d find myself making errors in driving on the other side of the road, maybe in an automatic, instead of manual, with all of the completely different road signs, etc., etc.

There should be some sort of 24 hour ban - but there wasn’t!

It might take a day or three to get safely accustomed.

Add to which, the Lady might well have been given all of the wrong advice and rushed out of the country, by her bosses.

A life was lost, one of many?

I wonder how many holidaymakers are flying the Ocean, jumping in a hire car, and driving through New York traffic, towards Disneyland, every week?

How many of them might be looking the wrong way, for a split second, whilst coming onto a main road from a junction?

Makes me think!

1 Like

She had not just arrived .
The woman lived on the camp with her husband .
I have driven overseas on the right side many many times for years and I have not driven on the wrong side of road .
Nevertheless it was an accident and she would not have got much sentence .
But to totally get off is outrageous and a travesty of justice .

1 Like

Under the shield of Diplomatic Immunity.

Also, the American bases have signs next to the exits reminding drivers that they must keep to the left, so there is no excuse for her to have made a mistake.

1 Like

And it’s been suggested she was on her phone at the time and here phone records have mysteriously disappeared.

Which would make it involuntary manslaughter, in my opinion

I would have thought that it was standard practice for the attending policeman to take the phone!

Or are you suggesting that she left the scene before the Police arrived?

I don’t know if the police took her phone or not Tedc, but I don’t think so

Because it says here and in lots of other articles that her phone records show texts and calls for the day before she killed the boy, and for the day after, but nothing at all on the day of the incident, and they are suggesting they may have been deleted

https://inews.co.uk/news/harry-dunn-death-anne-sacoolas-phone-crash-distracted-lawyers-latest-1141995/amp

That is very worrying, I admit!

I thought there was a way in which the police could access deleted texts/calls through the mobile 'phone company records … or am I watching too many crime dramas??

1 Like

Well, I would have thought that too, but perhaps not or presumably they would have done it?

Stinks of cover up if you ask me.

3 Likes

Yes Mups, something seems quite off about the whole situation doesn’t it? The fact that she was whisked out of the country within days rather than answering for what she had done is cowardly in my view. I suppose her response to that would be that she stayed with the young man until the ambulance and police arrived and then was sent back to the base.

2 Likes