An over dominant

In which case, you have answered your own question.

Ie - if appropriate, talk to them about your own perspective. Enlighten them, since they might not even know.

I wanted to see how others would deal with over dominant people…that’s why I asked,:wink:

Some very interesting replies so far…:slightly_smiling_face:

A generic question will usually get a generic answer. Specific cases may well involve a specific approach.

I didn’t find my question generic…also the replies were insightful,with depth and far from generic.

It is generic. My reply was thus generic. You then cited specific examples which required diffrerent analyses.

We’re not in school…people can answer how they choose…you are answering as a teacher,imo…, …I’m not…I’m answering as I choose to …if I cited specific examples, then we are free to answer as we choose…anyway I’m not quarrelling over it…but can make my point,which I just did.

We are free to answer as we choose…I like that.:pray:…not how I think you are trying to tell me to…with respect,:pray:

In other words we aren’t in a classroom.

Indeed. As am I.

I do tell them not to tell me what to do . I will stay quiet for a while then if it continues I will say , " your very bossy "

1 Like

How do they react to you saying that, Susan?..if it’s to personal a question, apologies and just ignore my question.

It took me a heck of a long time to even understand dominance…my father was extremely dominant…I wonder if I picked the character trait up from him, a learned behaviour.

Took a while to unlearn it, but I did…am very self aware of it as well…

I have a friend who is quite controlling and dominant and I dealt with it badly because I actually shouted at her to shut up , I think I’d lost it that day . The shock look on her face I think made her realise what she was doing . I did apologise but we never talked about it .

Now my sister is very dominant and opinionated , I just say , stop being bossy , and she stops ( until the next time )

I think maybe the best way is with humour I’ll try that next time

1 Like

We had a boss at my last place of employment who enjoyed calling staff meetings at 3pm and not turning up until 4 at the earliest. On one occasion, at 5:15 (15mins past our scheduled “clocking off” time) he asked one of the section heads about something that was definitely not on the agenda. I spoke up and said, “You might not have a life outside of here, but I do and I have an appointment at 6pm that I cannot rearrange now as it’s too late so, I’m going home.” With that, I stood up, packed up my notebook and phone and walked out of the meeting. The next morning one of the other participants congratulated me on sticking up for the other attendees who were all frightened of this bloke. The next time he called a meeting it was at 2pm, he arrived on time and stuck strictly to the agenda. :grin:

1 Like

Good for you…some people like to see just how far they can go…especially if its a boss

1 Like

Imo…it takes someone like you to stand up to some of these people, who think they can treat others as they choose, because of their status and wealth…

We aren’t “ door mats”.

Thank you Pauline. My own line manager was upset with my actions and told me so the next morning but I told her to mind her own because what had happened was after “going home time”. In any case, someone higher up than our big boss must have heard about the episode because I got a promotion and he got the sack a few months later. The next CEO was a much, much more friendly guy.

1 Like

I’d buy her the book:-

“How to Win Friends and Influence People”

1 Like

We should realise that we seldom if ever, see ourselves exactly as others see us. That is probably why it takes a long time to realise and see something for ourselves.

Anyone who tries to be dominating with me gets nowhere, I am as good as the next person so will not allow myself to be dominated.
:roll_eyes: :grinning:

2 Likes

I agree Baz…problem is…he’s starting dominating me!!..:joy::joy::joy:…pay back time…:rofl::sweat_smile:

When one person tries to dominate another they will only succeed if that person allows themselves to be dominated. If you are of strong character and show that is not going to be tolerated then what can the other person do – not a lot! :grinning:

2 Likes

I wish I’d known you years ago, I could have given you a job!!

I divorced him and lived to tell the tale. Had I not done so, I seriously doubt I would have survived.

1 Like