An interesting item about electric vehicles …

A point that is ignored in the report is that electric motors make far more efficient use of the energy they consume than an internal combustion engine.

A division of our company made electric motors of the type commonly used in EVs. Permanent magnet brushless DC motors. Our market for them was the machine tool industry (based on their dynamic performance).

Factory testing of these motors gave efficiencies of 97% or better. A typical IC engine struggles to make 40%.

is it not typical of the woolley thinking by politicians and inventors and manufactures

OOH LETS HAVE ELECTRIC CARS IN THE FUTURE

What a load of BS. Apart from charging issues and battery replacement - they don’t go for long distances anyway.

There you are on the M6 with a fully charged electric vehicle. you either run out of power and stop in the middle lane causing an accident or spend the next few hours waiting for the electric car in front to charge up before you get to the charging point. So next day you may be able to continue your journey.

These so called “experts” to my mind are complete idiots and not thinking things through first. Yet manufactures are going full steam ahead such as Land Rover for example. UTTER MADNESS

I’m not totally averse to EVs but I see four main problems/limitations.

[LIST=1]
[]Range.
[
]Recharge time
[]The energy source network
[
]Our inability to store energy in any great quantity for immediate use.
[/LIST]

I have no wish to have an electric car for these very reasons.

The technology and the infrastructure is not ready for them yet.

As I understand it, the only reason they are presently in the public eye is the claim that they are ‘eco-friendly’ which, as has been shown, they are not. A poorly thought-out government ideology, and not the only one either.

I’m not convinced that the article cited clearly demonstrates that to be the case. See post #55.

Electric motors, like electric heating, are certainly more efficient than other options.

However, compare the cost of electric heating to that of gas and other fuels!

My point still stands.

Can’t be bothered to read back the whole thread, but, has anyone answered where, the lost revenue from fossil fuel is going to come from?

That’s a lot of taxation to forgo.

No problem. They’ll make up any shortfall with taxes. They’re worse than the Sheriff of Nottingham. We need another Robin Hood.

Ah, Boris Hood looks promising!

Aren’t electric cars going to use more fossil fuels? Electric cars just move the carbon production to somewhere else (ie from the vehicle exhaust to the power station stacks).

:023:

They keep the eco-warriors happy though!

We should be going down the hydrogen fuel route in my opinion:

I can’t read this, as I have an ad blocker. However, I agree that hydrogen powered vehicles could overcome the problem of lack of range of electric vehicles.

However, if the eco-warriors were aware of how hydrogen is produced, perhaps they wouldn’t be too keen. Power cells and such like all require energy for their production and windmills aren’t going to fit the bill!

We need many more nuclear power stations. :lol:

I also could not read the item on the link for the same reason, very annoying. :frowning:

A quick search though found more information about hydrogen-powered cars, see the link below plus another link below that is a website about hydrogen production:

https://hydrogeneurope.eu/hydrogen-production-0

Thanks. I much prefer to read from sources that don’t constantly bombard me with adverts!

As it explains, most methods of hydrogen production rely on electrolysis or perhaps fossil fuels, so my choice would be nuclear power in preference.

I would agree JBR, The power from the bnuclear can then
create the hydrogen for the road vehicles?
The engines of which will not need extensive modifications
to enable them to burn hydrogen as fuel?
Plus we will not need extensive, expensive, new infrastructure
for battery charging.
Plus the existing car production can continue as is, with
minor modifications to the engines only
Why are we still talking about battery cars?
Regards Donkeyman!

Yes. My only concern, though, is how to safely store hydrogen in the car especially as it will, I assume, be under pressure.

Because electric vehicles is the thread topic?

Thank  you  Besoeker!!

Regards Donkeyman!