Americans and their numbers problems

I thank the USA for not allowing their golf courses to go Metric.

That meant that the UK Golf Courses, also, continued to use Feet!

All the way through the EU era!

Saved me a lot, as I don’t have to switch to a set of Metric Golf Irons & Woods!

Or a Metric Golf Trolley!

Thank You, America!

:umbrella:

1 Like

Actually they use checks…:slight_smile:

1 Like

The numbers problem.
One of my teachers asked me about this - why do we not use whole numbers like £5 (or $5) instead of £4.99?
The explanation was that the cashier could just take the cash and didn’t have to open the till to get the one penny out.

2 Likes

I know Americans still use checks, but personally I have owned a check book in at least 15 or 20 years. It’s all plastic and virtual now.

Only check I use is a monthly Cashier’s Check to pay a bill. That’s it.

We don’t even do that. We use a debit card unless it is a small amount and then we pay cash.

1 Like

When I was very young I asked my grandmother why the price of things was $4.99 instead of $5 even.
She told me that business people in advertising thought the public would focus on it not being as much at $5, mentally locking in $4.
Tricks of the trade. You would have thought that the penny not counting for much today, would fall by the wayside.

1 Like

This particular company is behind the times, it doesn’t accept plastic yet.

We have a joint current (checking) account with a chequebook and a debit card each attached to it. I can’t remember the last time I wrote a cheque out. I use cash or plastic.

1 Like

Little confused here. You want the criminals to be released earlier to avoid incarceration costs?

This is already required. Taxpayers are required to pay sales tax on online purchases. It’s just that it’s difficult to enforce because there’s no reporting mechanism to tell the IRS what the taxpayer owes.

Corporations are only required to report sales tax to the state if the corporation has a nexus to the state. For companies that have no nexus to the state, they’re not required to report. But the consumer is still responsible to pay the tax.

1 Like

We have been to the USA a few times and the people we met were really nice. But have you seen the size? the women walking away from you it looks like two cats fighting under a pillow.

1 Like

I don’t think my dear wife would appreciate that!

1 Like

allIi can say is it is not surprising seeing how much food they eat. What amazed Sue and I was the fact that in restaurants the meals were so big people even asked for “doggy bags” to take home what they couldnt eat, for later on. Ask for a Peatsa for 4 and you get one big enough for 12.

1 Like

I’m sure some.do. And some Brits do too.

1 Like

They probably have their pizzas cut into 12 slices whereas pommies have them cut into eight because 12 slices is too much pizza

Metrication was something Australia did very well, when they changed over all mention of the old system disappeared completely, weather forecasts were only in celsius, speed and measurements were in metric only. Even imports of rulers with Imperial measurements were banned

I must admit I hated it at the time but I am so glad they did it this way, it was cruel to be kind. People HAD to learn metric and they did. Wall panelling is still 8ft by 4ft but people soon learned that it was 2440mm by 1220mm. Being strict was definitely the way to go, whoever insisted on that deserves a lot of praise.

Like Brexit and the decimalisation of the currency, Britain completely cocked up metrication right from the word go (remember CGS > MKS > SI?) but if you keep voting in leaders like Alec Douglas Hume, Edward Heath and Boris Johnson what do you expect?

1 Like

No I don’t want them released. Instead of life I am for the death penalty. I don’t need revenge, or anything like that. I just think if you are so dangerous you can never be allowed back in public, you’re to dangerous to exist. IMHO

BTW the one exception to what I wrote - police reports referring to the height of an individual continued to be quoted in both metric and imperial. I am not sure if it still is.

My daughter came to me one day and asked, “Dad, what are lumbs and ozzes?” I had great difficulty explaining the system and I couldn’t remember if it was 16 or 14 ounces to the pound, or was that stones?? Don’t miss it at all, stupid system.

1 Like

That’s what I thought you’d want. There’s a death penalty thread in the debate section on the possibility of a UK death penalty.

In the US, the death penalty costs much more to the taxpayers than a multiple decade incarceration. So it was confusing that you felt that adding years to a sentence costs more money. When the sentence goes into the hundreds of years, it’s basically life in prison or the death penalty. Of those two, the death penalty in the US costs the taxpayers more.

Records Disclose Taxpayers Picked Up a Nearly Million Dollar Price Tag for Each Federal Execution

This was just for the execution. This wasn’t factoring in all the expensive appeals and legal costs. That cost would have been much higher.

In the US, it’s much less expensive to incarcerate someone for decades than to execute them.

1 Like

The death penalty costs so much because we allow them years to appeal, before carrying out the sentence. The costs comes from the endless hearings. I quite sure the chemicals are pretty cheap. Only state where this isn’t true is Texas, they execute more prisoners’ every year than any other state. The death penalty in the US is used more as a threat than an actuality. That’s why people don’t worry about it so much, too may ways to avoid it. the good news is that America is getting much better with CCTV leaving little or no doubt in a lot of cases. Like I said before if you take another’s life in a premeditated and heinous way. The moment you take their humanity you lose the right to your own. Therefore I need to treat you the way you treated your victim as a “thing”. The difference is that they are things that are dangerous to society.

1 Like