Ambulance takes 5 hours

This new story broke my heart this morning. That poor man must have been so frightened as he knew he was dying because of the length of time it took for an ambulance to arrive.

5 HOURS? For goodness sakes, this is just totally unacceptable.

I can only imagine how terrible his family feel knowing how the man suffered not only with injury but also with fear and feeling alone.

I fear it is only going to get worse.

Poor, poor man. RIP that man.

1 Like

We pay Ā£130 billion a year for this crap service.

That poor man. The horror is that this isnā€™t unusual either. The NHS gets away this shit service over and over again because its like a church and can never be criticised.

1 Like

I suspect it is down to these people who get covid instead of taking precautions such as vaccinations and masks that are blocking up the hospital beds and ambulances.
To my mind if they havnā€™t at least had the anti covid vaccination they have no right to even be in hospital let alone taking up ambulance time

1 Like

Most people passing on covid are the vaccinated.

how do you know that?

yes it was a very sad case and it did upset me , one of the family should have gone to him , no matter how far away they were .

Most people are vaccinated

Is this only a certain area, or generally all over the country?

It was saying on the tea-time news recently, that some ambulances were taking 12, and 13 hours to get there!

In all fairness though, I needed help several times last summer, and the ambulance was there within the hour.

If it is any comfort the same thing is happening here with NSW Ambulance wait times the longest since records began.

From what I hear from our tame sawbones the problem is the hospitals. Shortage of beds and as a result delays in A&E.

This is true. Ambulances arriving at A&E must keep their patients outside until there is room in the A&E reception areas. Consequently, they cannot drop off the patients and proceed to other emergencies.
Yet again, despite the vast army of bureaucrats running the NHS, there are insufficient resources and staff at the sharp end. As others have suggested, the whole organisation needs replacing with a far more efficient one and certainly not on the many people who do nothing but talk and push papers around.

1 Like

Hi

Somewhat of an expert on this, at least locally.

Ambulance delays are due to waiting outside hospital sometimes for many hours.

In my case heart attacks and chest infections turned to Sepsis.It is killing people.

We had a similar experience about a month ago. My sister was here for a few days. She couldnā€™t move her legs so we called an ambulance. It was all of five hours before they arrivedā€¦

You are probably right. I blame Blair for closing so many hospital wards and ā€˜rationalisingā€™ staff to leave something leading up to what we witness today.
That bā€™stard Blair wrecked this country AND he gets Knighted for it toošŸ¤¬

2 Likes

when I watched the replay of this on oz news what really struck me was this 90 odd year old guy was living on his own then his son comes on complaining too ?? - donā€™t you find it strange that a dear old 90 yr old was living on his own ? - if he had had been living with his son maybe more curative action could have been taken??

My dad is 89 next week and lives on his own. Itā€™s not nice to shoulder the blame onto his son. Maybe his dad had not wanted to leave his own home. You donā€™t know the circumstances. The outrage here is that the ambulance took so long to get to him.

If I were his son I too would be very upset and speaking out.

I feel very sorry for his son heā€™s obviously in pain knowing that his dad spoke of his own imminent death. That poor man knew time was running out.

I dont know what but something has to be done . It feels like we just donā€™t get the care anymore we need in emergencies.
I am for one minute not blaming the paramedics, a solution needs to be found and quickly before we hear of more of sad incidents like this happens.

2 Likes

Talking about ambulances queueing up outside A&E, it occured to me that A&E departments may be misnamed.
When I was having periodic seizures, by GP (by telephone!) told me that should it happen again I must go straight to A&E, presumably because it would be considered an emergency.
I did that after the next occurrence and noticed that the waiting area was completely full. The young girl sitting directly in front of us was sitting with her feet up on the back of the chair in front playing perfectly happily on her mobile phone and showing no signs of any distress. The same seemed to be the case for many others scattered about the room. Of course, it was an evening and it is possible that many had made their way from the pub! I also noticed before entering, several ambulances waiting outside and one by one being called in with their patients.
We had an eight-hour wait to be seen, so I can only assume that those before me were also told by their GP to go straight to A&E due to their cases being emergencies. Perhaps they were.

For these reasons, I think that the term ā€˜A&Eā€™ might be changed to ā€˜drop-in centreā€™ for those people who have been unable to see their GP, but have not suffered a major accident or a medical emergency! I know from past experience when I was working as a radiographer that it is not uncommon for drunks to pile in after theyā€™ve collapsed in a drunken stupor or perhaps begun feeling a bit sick!

Anyway, Iā€™m not complaining as I was eventually seen and ECG run which, unfortunately, showed nothing untoward. (It was only later when I saw a private cardiologist and who arranged for the implantation of a loop recorder, that it was discovered that on the latest occasion of a seizure my heart had stopped completely for 10-12 seconds).

A risk register within the board meeting agenda reads: ā€œThere is a direct risk of life and safety to patients, visitors and staff of the trust due to the potential of catastrophic failure of the roof structure due to structural deficiencies.ā€

It said this was because the pre-cast concrete construction of the building was 40 years old, despite only being built to last 25 years, and rated the risk as ā€œvery high/extremeā€.

So very true, my granddaughter is a trainee paramedic she says that a majority of her shift is spent at accident and emergency waiting for a free cubicle to move their patients into. On one 8 hour shift the team she worked with only did 2 lifts.

Cuts to am bulance services have meant having to use expensive private companies. This in turn reduce the services the NHS can provide and starts a helper skelter ride to the bottom. Cuts and privatisation are killing the NHS and the Government are responsible for both. The NHS is at the mercy of the public who vote for a Government that says it is supports the NHS but itā€™s actions prove the lie.