Amazon offers £1,000 joining bonus for new UK staff

Amazon is offering new warehouse workers a £1,000 joining bonus in a bid to attract new recruits. The online retail giant is advertising for “urgently needed” warehouse pickers and packers in the UK to meet demand, amid a growing recruitment crisis. Candidates who take up the roles before 18 September will get the sign-on fee, according to jobs site Indeed. It is the latest example of firms using incentives to attract staff as they struggle to recruit.

Brexit, coronavirus and the furlough scheme, which still supports millions of workers, have been blamed for the mounting recruitment challenges. Hospitality was badly hit by the so-called “pingdemic”, while companies including major supermarkets are suffering disruptions to their supply chains due to a UK-wide shortage of HGV drivers.

Amazon is advertising its new roles at warehouses across the country, including in Darlington, Dartford, Swansea, Redditch and Coventry.

As well as the joining bonus, the company is offering an hourly rate of £11.10 an hour, with overtime rising to £22.20 an hour. Amazon says it is offering “immediate starts with no experience needed”.

The latest in a series of employers getting desperate … :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t work for them - even for that amount of money. I know people who have, and the conditions are horrendous.

Did you hear about Sainsbury’s recruiting from prison, because of “lack of applicants” aye right, doubt that for a minute!

[quote=“PixieKnuckles, post:2, topic:84133, full:true”]
I wouldn’t work for them - even for that amount of money. I know people who have, and the conditions are horrendous.[/quote]

I wouldn’t either … :009:

Did you hear about Sainsbury’s recruiting from prison, because of “lack of applicants” aye right, doubt that for a minute!

No, I hadn’t heard that - I’d heard that the meat industry was looking for body disposal experts among those serving a term at Her Majesty’s Pleasure … :hocho:

What bothers me Pixie, is that they have been disposing of plenty of goods that were fine & could have been used, until the ITV investigated and told the rest of us. If they can now pay high salaries ,to persuade people to work for them, who will cover the cost? Possibly the people who buy things from them ! :frowning_face:

That’s true but I thought it was just those coming to the end of their sentence, those on short sentences, and those on “white collar” charges that were going to be offered the chance to do something useful with their time. I presume the prison service will receive their salaries and the prisoners will get a proportion of that to buy any necessities. Just wait for the do-gooders and bleeding heart liberal brigade to get involved.

the conditions may be horrendous working at Amazon BUT at least it is a job against scrounging for state aid.