Amazing sculpture

The Abduction of Proserpina by Bernini
The genius of a man who can make marble look like soft flesh

7 Likes

It’s fabulous @Muddy, the indentations his fingers leave, and indeed the hand itself, with the bones and veins running under the skin.

Thank you for posting this Muddy.

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you, Muddy.

2 Likes

That is an “ Amazing Sculpture “…the work that must have gone into that, not forgetting the “ patience”…superb, doesn’t even come close, to try and compliment it…:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:…is all I can say!

1 Like

I have always been amazed at such figures where detail has been the sculptor’s aim. I have 3/4 scale reproductions in my rear garden, but they do not have the very fine details of the originals. Having been a life model during my early years, I became interested in all art where the human form is studied. My wife too was life model right up until 2wks before the birth of our 1st daughter and this is how we added to our house buying pot for our 1st house mortgage.

1 Like

Its gorgeous…would love to see it in real life. The detail is incredible.

I wanted to find out where this statue is located and I think its the Borghese gallery (Rome?) but the search I did also appeared to call this statue The Rape of Proserpina. Are there in fact two statues (maybe a third called the post trauma councilling of proserpina?) or are these just the polite and the less polite names for the same statue?

It’s the same work polite and none polite didn t want the bots getting uptight
Pluto was adducting Proserpina to no good end .

Thanks! In a way I’m relieved by your confirmation that it is one statue. I was beginning to worry about how Bernini would have portrayed the second event had there been two different statues.

In the art world of old, rape and kidnapping were interchangeable. The Rape of the Sabine Women, by Rubens, was his painting about the mass kidnapping of young women by Roman founder Romulus and his male followers.

The wonderful observation of Michelangelo
The muscle arrowed is only visible when the little finger is flexed .

5 Likes

Hi

Muddy, I love things like this I am in awe of them.

I would rather spend my holidays finding things like that than being beside a pool in an all inclusive hotel.

3 Likes