Allotment woes arise

the why not partition others on the allotment to form a new comittee. allotments generally are council owned. I would explain to them the situation and ask them to step in

Because there is hardly anyone on the allotments
There is a couple of chaps who. I get along with ok
And one prissy women who keeps her allotment like home and garden and is OCD to the point that I sets my teeth on edge .She probley complained her husband mows all around and she round ups everything she doesn’t believe in organic everything .
Most people abandoned their plots after the initial enthusiasm .
Nope it’s not a friendly place and that’s why people let them go .
The woman in charge upfronted me on Facebook at the start and I told her off because she was rude and of course all my friends thought it was hilarious and stuck their two cents in .:slight_smile:
She told me the allotments were for villagers only and not people who went off to Spain blooming cheek she doesn’t even live in the village herself .
It was her husband who recommended me to apply to her and I did everything correctly .
I don t want the allotment they can have it it’s too much for me anyway . I doubt anyone else will want it as there are several plots vacant .

Gosh Muddy that sounds horrendous! I would just want to plant and grow and not bother with anyone.

Our allotment seems OK for getting on with people. Lots of plots are untended though. I hear that if they remain untended for too long, people can be told to either use them or move on. There’s quite a long waiting list of people wanting an allotment.

I’d miss going there if it were to end.

See, that is why I never bothered applying for one here in Suffolk. I was on the committee in London but the then chair, a miserable woman in a wheelchair made life difficult for me, so I just jumped ship. She and her husband have both since resigned.

But the politics over there would make your hair curl. How there can be a committee with one person beats me!

All I wanted was a peaceful haven to tend my plots, but 2 other plot holders thought nothing of bullying. So glad there are over 100 miles between us now.

2 Likes

That sounds awful Jazzi. On mine its the opposite, its very involved and everyone has jobs to do that contribute to the running of it. Our hours get counted and woe betide you if you don’t step up to the plate. Also, very overly sociable…always arranging days out and coffee mornings. I can’t be bothered with all that. All I want is a wee patch to grow my stuff and eat it. :frowning: I think I might leave and just do containers in the backyard.

PK, is it self managed? How does that work, everyone getting involved? Ooer.

Its a “community garden” Jazzi, which kind of speaks for itself. I don’t mind getting involved at all, but they crack the whip a bit and pull you up if the board think you aren’t doing “enough” (and you have no reasonable excuse, like work commitments or ill health) Considering you pay for it, its a bit much…

Goodness me, I’m so glad we don’t have an allotment. The politics and nit picking hitlers sound absolutely horrendous. Mind you, it’s all we can do to keep up with our small garden, so no chance of managing an allotment as well!

I do Pixie .
I am not very social and like to keep myself to myself there are nice people in this village and they are the same they just say oh blow it and just leave .

However I did go and give it a bit of a tidy today .
Got some lovely runner beans apples and raspberries.
I have ordered two hessian sacks and when they arrive I will dig up the potatoes .
After that I will seed the place with poppies and flowers and let it go .

2 Likes

Muddy…is there another one you could go to? It seems such a shame to have to give up something you clearly enjoy, for the sake of a few nit pickers. Would you consider elsewhere?

I don’t love it that much Pixie .
I had hoped to work it with my old friend we both liked the idea of fresh healthy veg but she became ill and is unable to do anything . It is just too much for me really and it’s only a little plot .
Perhaps someone really keen will take it on it has an apple tree and raspberry and gooseberry bushes
Just too old I will stick not what gives me pleasure not headaches :slight_smile:

That’s the best thing to do Muddy. No point in struggling with things that make you unhappy. Sounds like a lovely plot though, you looked after it well. Good luck to the next person. I’m not signing up for mine again after this season either. Things you let go of, leave a space to be filled with something more fulfilling, I think. :+1:

1 Like

My plot in London was on a massive site, and there were places to sit near the entrance and enjoy the nice weather. Out in the sun, or under a tree. It could be quite tranquil. However, the sight of high weeds after bouts of rain would send my enthusiasm spiralling. I didn’t love it enough to spend countless hours digging. I had two plots, the second one just a raised bed, under a walnut tree. No, it wasn’t my choice…the woman I am still friends with swooped in and chose the outer one, the one that didn’t get loads of crap falling onto the bed from the tree. Never forgave her for that, and I still harbour the grudge, but have shelved it.

The other one was my original, and consisted of a bed with a damson tree that never fruited, A section for a compost bin, and a shorter raised bed. Because it was next to the two bullies I was up against it each time I visited. That plot was the hardest to keep under control with grass all over. Sometimes I’d go over after an absence (after lots of rain) and almost cry.

I went to have a look with L when down in London recently and it was an utter mess. An elderly Indian lady took it over but hasn’t worked on it. Sky high grass, the rose Bush I planted has grown well out of control. Such a depressing sight. Needless to say, she has been given a ‘dirty plot’ notice. That is the one given for you to tidy up, before a ‘notice to quit’ letter!

I am so glad now not to worry about having one and taking up my time.

PK, so you have the choice not to work on it?

Well its not looked on favourably if you let it go for a few weeks. They tend to swarm over it doing before and after pictures and putting it social media to show how great they are at “looking after it”. They don’t name names, but just the plot number. The plot plan is there though for those that want to dig (pardon the pun!) deeper and find out who has been a lazy so-and so. Then when you go back its all “Oh we just did this for you, we just tidied it up for you, lets have tea to celebrate” I realise it sounds ungrateful to some extent, but its too smothering.

Let me get this right. So do you HAVE to work on it, regardless of whether you want to or not? CAN you walk away, saying no? I’m a bit confused here.

What a charming lot seems like allotments don’t always bring out the best in people.

Well…yes pretty much. There’s a signing in sheet where you put your clocking in time, and leaving time, and an explanation of what work you did either on your own patch or round about the grounds. Given that you paid for it at the start of the season, its expected that you will do your bit and not throw in the towel halfway through.

I suppose technically you could say no and walk away but I imagine there would need to be a acceptable good reason for it. I’ll not be renewing my patch at the end of the season so it will go to someone else, no harm done. Until then though, I’ll just potter away and try to avoid people. I don’t have much left to deal with anyway.

I am more or less the same Pixie