Allotment woes arise

Can you believe my allotment is causing problems again .
Apparently there are complaints re the bind weed .
The allotment which is a small one has been a source of trouble to me and I intend to give it up this year.
But what upsets me more is the unfriendly petty nastiness of it all .
The men on the allotment seem a friendly lot but a couple of the women are poisonous . It’s not a friendly place at all

1 Like

Muddy, are the complaints justified? Are the weeds spreading outwards to their plots? Or have you just not got round to clearing yours away? Otherwise, ignore them. I hated the politics that went on and couldn’t wait to get away.

Why do people need to be like that? The allotment should be a place to go and relax and enjoy the results of your efforts. You shouldn’t have to put up with hassle.

1 Like

Hi

The exact reason I do not do allotments.

My sister, who is a far better and tidier gardener than me gets the same Muddy.

@Muddy That’s a shame Muddy, your allotment should be a pleasurable experience , my sister has one on a small site and they all get on well sharing knowledge/seeds/ produce.

If you don’t have time to keep the ground clear of weeds cover it , cardboard weighed down with stones will do the trick .

1 Like

@Muddy lt could be part of a " plot" ( sorry about that!) to get you to give up your allotment
so that it becomes available for a family member or friend Muddy ??
I agree you should give up as the complaints will continue untill you do ??
Donkeyman! :worried::worried:

Muddy, I’m sorry to hear about your problems on the allotment. I was considering applying for a fullscale one for next year, instead of raised beds in a community garden Reading this thread makes me think I’d be better off doing containers in my back room! (The community gardens are ok - as in nobody is nasty. In fact its the opposite, its quite cloying. )

They can have it I don’t want it anymore once I have harvested my potatoes and beans I will give it up .
There is bind weed because there is but it’s not spreading anywhere else but on my plot but there are a couple of women who have far too much time on their hands and so are into looking for something to pick on . They can take their complaints and stuff them up their jumpers ,

Donkeyman there are several plots availed so they don’t need my plot they are just a couple of old women who can’t bear to see it .

I have crossed swords with them before .

Such is life in a twee little cotswold village .

isn’t there an allotment association comittee for you to complain to? If put in writing those ladies have to respond justifying their actions

The allotment committee comprises of one old woman and it’s her who is doing the complaining because she has SFA to do .
No they can all go take a running jump small minded little hitlers .

the why not partition others on the allotment to form a new comittee. allotments generally are council owned. I would explain to them the situation and ask them to step in

Because there is hardly anyone on the allotments
There is a couple of chaps who. I get along with ok
And one prissy women who keeps her allotment like home and garden and is OCD to the point that I sets my teeth on edge .She probley complained her husband mows all around and she round ups everything she doesn’t believe in organic everything .
Most people abandoned their plots after the initial enthusiasm .
Nope it’s not a friendly place and that’s why people let them go .
The woman in charge upfronted me on Facebook at the start and I told her off because she was rude and of course all my friends thought it was hilarious and stuck their two cents in .:slight_smile:
She told me the allotments were for villagers only and not people who went off to Spain blooming cheek she doesn’t even live in the village herself .
It was her husband who recommended me to apply to her and I did everything correctly .
I don t want the allotment they can have it it’s too much for me anyway . I doubt anyone else will want it as there are several plots vacant .

Gosh Muddy that sounds horrendous! I would just want to plant and grow and not bother with anyone.

Our allotment seems OK for getting on with people. Lots of plots are untended though. I hear that if they remain untended for too long, people can be told to either use them or move on. There’s quite a long waiting list of people wanting an allotment.

I’d miss going there if it were to end.

See, that is why I never bothered applying for one here in Suffolk. I was on the committee in London but the then chair, a miserable woman in a wheelchair made life difficult for me, so I just jumped ship. She and her husband have both since resigned.

But the politics over there would make your hair curl. How there can be a committee with one person beats me!

All I wanted was a peaceful haven to tend my plots, but 2 other plot holders thought nothing of bullying. So glad there are over 100 miles between us now.

2 Likes

That sounds awful Jazzi. On mine its the opposite, its very involved and everyone has jobs to do that contribute to the running of it. Our hours get counted and woe betide you if you don’t step up to the plate. Also, very overly sociable…always arranging days out and coffee mornings. I can’t be bothered with all that. All I want is a wee patch to grow my stuff and eat it. :frowning: I think I might leave and just do containers in the backyard.

PK, is it self managed? How does that work, everyone getting involved? Ooer.

Its a “community garden” Jazzi, which kind of speaks for itself. I don’t mind getting involved at all, but they crack the whip a bit and pull you up if the board think you aren’t doing “enough” (and you have no reasonable excuse, like work commitments or ill health) Considering you pay for it, its a bit much…

Goodness me, I’m so glad we don’t have an allotment. The politics and nit picking hitlers sound absolutely horrendous. Mind you, it’s all we can do to keep up with our small garden, so no chance of managing an allotment as well!

I do Pixie .
I am not very social and like to keep myself to myself there are nice people in this village and they are the same they just say oh blow it and just leave .

However I did go and give it a bit of a tidy today .
Got some lovely runner beans apples and raspberries.
I have ordered two hessian sacks and when they arrive I will dig up the potatoes .
After that I will seed the place with poppies and flowers and let it go .

2 Likes