All hands to the pump

This is a project I previously posted about on the old site.

I had an old pump and stone trough that had belonged to my parents, and decided it would look nice incorporated into our pond as a water feature.
The idea was to improve the looks of the existing pond water flow arrangements.

View from our back door. Before.

First of all I brought in a surveyor to cast her eye over the existing setup.

To start with I had to dismantle the old cascade and remove a load of loose bricks from the top of the Ha-Ha.

Next I had to relocate the water pipe which involved tunnelling under said Ha-Ha. The hole is where the outflow used to be.

Building the splash basin and retaining wall.

The concrete pad is for the stone trough in the foreground to sit on.

Continuing the splash wall.

I had the presence of mind to “walk” the trough into the basin before finishing the wall. There is no way I could have lifted the trough over afterwards.
My Auntie/MiL commented that the trough looked like a tombstone.

Splash basin covered in crazy paving and a test firing with the old pump just placed to check for leaks and flow direction.
At this point it was realised that the pump would need to be painted a light colour so it could be seen against the dark green background.

Core! The rock was so hard that my drill packed up and I had to go out and buy a new one.

A visit from the inspectors, Fred and Freda.

Threading the water pipe through the rock,

through the pump body,

and out the spout.

On the level. To ensure accuracy I bought and fitted a brace of brand new calibrated spirit level bubbles from my local hardware shop.

Flow alignment check.

Handle installed and milk churn planters set. How’s it looking Ellie?

It all looks okay here Dad; just make sure you grab the correct handle.

View from the back door. After.

The electric pump that feeds the new water feature is under the fish feeding deck.

The corrugated pipe I had used kept blocking, so I replaced it recently with a bigger bore smooth pipe to increase the water flow and reduce the risk of blockages. I also raised the pump and trough a little to increase the visual splash effect.
At some point I’m going to raise the height of the splash wall, and narrow the flume in an attempt to increase the “white-water” effect of the flow down the channel.

3 Likes

Wow!!..you have certainly put some work into that project, I Love!! and everything you have achieved, you certainly have a wonderful gift there.

Fred and Freda are huge!!..Koi I believe?

Gorgeous dog as well.:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

That stone is beautiful, is it York stone?

1 Like

Another great project Fruity with more wonderful photo’s too.
As has been said before, your garden looks lovely.
Please may I use your surveyor?
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I would not be here if I did something like that because Mrs Zaphod has a phobia for frogs & toads and we already have a drainage dyke at the end of our garden and regular invasions.

1 Like

Yes, the fish are Koi and were free to a good home.
Sadly we lost Ellie the boxer last year before the first lockdown
I have no idea what sort of stone it is other than that it is beautifully carved.

The pond was already here when I bought the place. We used to get frogs, toads, newts, slow-worms, and occasionally the odd eel. come a visiting.
Urban development has meant that a lot of the local habitats have been destroyed so now we get a reduced number of frogs and toads each year, but we haven’t had any of the others visit us for decades.

1 Like

Fruitcake, you are amazing!

1 Like

Fruitcake, do you want to come and build something similar in our back garden, please? Pretty please? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’ll just go and ask my Lovely Cousin to see what she says about your request. Don’t wait up for her reply.