AI: Can you tell that these 'photographs' are artificial?

All of the images in the article have been created using AI software on the website Night Cafe.

None of the people depicted are real and each picture has been generated by a text prompt.

A text prompt can be something as simple as “woman shouting” or “twins”.

Night Cafe founder Angus Russell said: "Five years ago, People were saying AI would take over the borings jobs, but things that require creativity will be safe for a long time.

“But it’s turned out the exact opposite. Creative jobs and knowledge-based work could be the earliest things to be replaced.”

Dr David Gyimah is an associate professor of innovation at Cardiff University’s School of Journalism and is impressed by the hyper-realism of these images.

“Everything that you would expect of a good photograph is there,” he said.

“There’s nothing in these in these images that could lead you to believe that they were generated in any other way [such as AI].”

Amazing … :astonished:

I think you can tell, but maybe I’m kidding myself?

Human beings are very finely tuned to perceptions of human faces and if it is slightly off, even maybe being too perfect, we get the “Uncanny Valley” effect which makes us uneasy or revolted, even though we don’t know why

Part of me does find those pictures a bit repulsive?

Even when you use AI to enhance photos of real people it can be creepy, I think

My friend won’t mind me showing you this one, it’s been all over Facebook and his only concern is that he might have broken my camera! Such a lovely lad

The first is as it took, the second AI enhanced and I still think it’s a bit eerie

1 Like

Yours is a REAL photograph but the specs on the enhancement are an instant indication of “interference”.

The images in the article are not photographs but images generated from text and I cannot see any instant indications of artificiality.

1 Like

I think the public should be consulted on whether we want such developments. It’s unethical, threatens national security and should only be allowed if the public agree. There’s a cost/benefit in AI and other technological developments. If the cost to humanity outweighs benefits then what is the point?

1 Like

It’s not about you seeing them with your eyes

It’s that your brain, programmed very accurately to pick up on human faces, registers them not being real, or “normal” and not quite right

And then evolutionary instincts kicks in to protect you from “other” and something about these AI pictures created completely artificially repulses you, even if you don’t know they’re AI

I do find them a bit horrible, even though I couldn’t say why

The eyes are off in all of them, particular the pupils.

I find them quite normal.

I’m not sure about this one, though:

1 Like

Are his eyes really like that Maree?
:frowning:

1 Like

No, I don’t think so, I think the flash caught on his glasses and reflected back and made it look like his eyes are different colours!

And then the AI enhancer just took it as fact🤣

He is a funny looking lad but it doesn’t matter, the girls are all over him!

1 Like

You don’t get the Uncanny Valley effect so much with non human pictures

1 Like

That one was real - this is AI-generated:

1 Like

This is doing the rounds at the moment!

And some people are thinking it’s real, so I suppose it must fool some of them?

Baby peacocks are brown :rofl:

1 Like

Now that looks fake. Look at those eyes. Looks like stuffed animal eyes.

There must be better fakes than that.

1 Like

It really does, doesn’t it? Yet people are accepting it as real……super gullible!

That fake pic of a baby peacock reminds me of those hideous Disney-like caricatures of young creatures - the ratio of eye-size to body size is grossly exaggerated in those Disney cartoon-type images (not to mention the highly improbable colours of the plumage when common sense tells you that the survival of vulnerable young creatures usually depends on camouflage and blending in with their surroundings!)

Oddly enough, I find that young children are often very attracted to those impossible Disney-type cartoon-like images of baby creatures - the enlarged size ratio of eyes & head to body tends to bring out the parenting instinct for most creatures but these Disney-type caricatures exaggerate to the point of grotesque, in my opinion.
However, kids seem to love them! - we sell loads of small soft toys which have that impossible huge-eyed, brightly coloured look. Whatever type of creature they are - birds, animals, sea creatures, reptiles, dinosaurs - they all have those grotesquely exaggerated eyes and colours.

1 Like

Beautiful photos, they all look real to me

1 Like