AI cameras catch 297 drivers using phones or not wearing seatbelts in three days in Cornwall, UK

driving offences

The free-standing AI road safety camera is currently in use on the A30 near Launceston, Cornwall.

Although the cameras use AI to detect potential offences, all images are reviewed by a person, said Devon and Cornwall Police.

The system uses a number of cameras with high shutter speeds, an infra-red flash and a lensing and filtering system to record clear images of passing vehicles.

Those images are reviewed by the AI software with those identified as likely to contain evidence of an offence anonymised and sent for review by a person to confirm an offence has occurred.

The force, which is trialling the system, said if an offence has been correctly identified, the driver would either be sent a warning letter or a notice of intended prosecution, depending on the severity of the offence.

In the first 72 hours of use the AI camera system detected:

• 117 mobile phone offences
  • 180 seat belt offences

In 2022 Vision Zero South West conducted a 15-day trial of a larger, vehicle-based system from road safety tech firm Acusensus.

It detected 590 seatbelt and 45 mobile phone offences across various roads in both Devon and Cornwall.

Presumably, some drivers will see AI cameras as intrusive and controversial but, in the interest of road safety, I’m all in favour of extending their use … :+1:

2 Likes

I think it is necessary, particularly for the mobile phone offences as it can result in crashes with injury to others. I am surprised so many drivers are not using seat belts

2 Likes

Good on ‘em!

These people don’t just kill themselves when the inevitable happens

If they won’t belt up and shut up on their mobiles because it’s the right thing to do, then hopefully fear of getting caught will make them

2 Likes

That’s amateur hour stuff!

In NSW alone more than 172,000 fines were handed out for mobile phone use in the last financial year

We see it all the time sadly.
And honestly women seem to do it more than men.
Safety first .

1 Like

I saw that on the news, hope it gets registration numbers too so the stupid sods can be prosecuted. We could do with a few here in Devon.

1 Like

may I digress a mo? - as a kid in uk in our street of say 50-60 houses plus a small church ; we occasionally saw a lorry parked overnight which was extremely unusual even then '40’s and never any cars at all. I remember driving back to those sleepy old places in the 70’s and still being able to find a parking spot easily - how we have all progressed since then heh? - wot have we given up in the name of progress ? - peace and contentment perhaps?

The intention may be good but this is creepy stuff. People should be consulted on such personal photos because although these ones are picked up in the press, what else do they see? How may photos of someone picking their nose or bouncing breasts etc are reviewed by these humans?

this is the first sign of societal breakdown?