Affordable starter piano keyboard

Hi all, just thinking new year, new hobby - what about learning to play the piano finally and then ding I realised you don’t need one of those big pieces of stringed nightmare to move and tune dinosaurs these days. Not when you can buy an electronic keyboard with lessons built in or included.

But then I started to look at reviews and now I am confused. Apparently touch-sensitive keys are a thing to desire and so is a function that mimics the pedal on a piano. Help! Does anyone here have experience of this/musical talents and understanding? I’m a total novice other than learning to play stairway to heaven and house of the rising sun on a boyfriend’s acoustic guitar age 19…(still remember the callouses)

2 Likes

Learning to play the keyboard is the best and easiest way to learn how to read and understand music. Learning chords will enable you to play just about anything including how to improvise.
In my opinion, learning how music is created is one of life’s most fulfilling opportunities. The keyboard is probably one of the most versatile instruments you can learn. It also has the added advantage of being portable, unlike a standard piano. Learning keyboard will give you hours of entertainment. Go for it. I doubt you’ll regret it.
Most of all, have fun. I think you’ll enjoy it and find it very rewarding.

Note: The pedals aren’t really an important aspect of learning the keyboard. I never used the pedals. Volume control can usually be done merely by either pressing harder or softer on the keys. For now, don’t even think about them.

1 Like

The beauty of those electronic keyboards is the headphone socket.
Also for around £100 delivered you can buy a 61 Key Full Size Digital Electronic Keyboard Kit Inc Stand, Stool and Headphones.
I’ve recently bought 2 NJS keyboards (as above) as presents and the young recipients are thrilled with them. Drop me a line and I’ll share the supplier’s details

1 Like

This should have tacked onto the above posting:-

The NJS800 Full Size Digital Electronic Keyboard Kit offers outstanding value for money and features an easy to play keyboard with 61 full size piano style keys, mic input and speaker/headphone jack. Ideal for beginners and more experienced players alike, the NJS800 Keyboard makes learning fun and is totally portable when running on batteries (6 x D - not supplied). The NJS800 Keyboard boasts 100 Timbres (Instrument Sounds) and 100 Rhythms to choose from, plus various effects, demonstration songs, single finger chords and record/playback function. Comes complete with an attractive keyboard Z-stand with built-in sheet music stand, mains adaptor and stylish neckband headphones.

Stool

Part of a new range from New Jersey Sound Corp, the Piano or Keyboard Bench has two crossbars in the bottom of the seat to securely support your weight. This is a well-made Piano Bench with three separate height settings to ensure a good fit for children and adults. The padded seat is designed for comfort while you play and is supported by a sturdy X-type frame. The Piano Bench folds flat for easy transportation; it’s ideal if you’re on the move at gigs or lessons. Complies with The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire)(Safety) Regulations 1988 BS 5852.

1 Like

Thanks LD! I looked that up and the search led me to this Alesis Recital. This one sounds brilliant for a budget keyboard and it has 88 keys which you need for classical piano :

1 Like

Yes, folks should make the Piano their Forte.

1 Like

You’re welcome Annie S

1 Like

Charity shops often have one in,or have a walk around a car boot.
Could save you a lot of money if you dont enjoy it.

1 Like