Advice with health issue renewing driving licence over 70

I have to renew my driving licence again . I have answered the questions 3a and 3b about eyesight confirming I can meet the legal standard for driving , and , confirming I wear glasses to meet this standard.

The health section asks about eyes

Any condition affecting visual field in both eyes , and
Any condition affecting both or one eye

I have cataracts , but have been cleared 6 months ago by optician to drive and this week went to spamedica and am awaiting the call for right eye op then hopefully left eye op sooner than later .

I am concerned if I tick the boxes in the health section they may stop me driving when I can see and optician knows I’m driving as do spa medica .

Advice please and thankyou

Unless anyone like a doctor or optician has told you that you shouldn’t drive Susan, and if you are happy that your eyesight is adequate, don’t mention there is anything wrong with you sight on the form…‘Can of worms’ springs to mind…
Good luck…
:nerd_face:

1 Like

OGF is right, we made that mistake because DVLA do not read anything. When OH phoned to explain why he had ticked box, but the computer did not have an option for medical condition. A heart attack is not cardiac arrest.

If it was me I would go back to my optician for advice .
They may suggested another eye test as a lot can happen to cataracts in six months.
I would definitely err on the side of caution.

Thanks Ripple OGF and Cinders i think I’ll pop to my opticians this weekend . They can write a letter to say I’m safe to drive while waiting for op

2 Likes

You’re welcome Susan.

I have cataracts too but the optician says that there is no need for an operation yet nor does it affect my driving. I think it is only night driving where it becomes a problem in the early stages.

There is a friend of mine in her 80s who has to have a report from her optician as well as her annual medical examination for her licence. I only need a report from my doctor.

1 Like