Advice about printers needed, please

Friends of mine who are serious photographers are wanting to upgrade their printer. At the moment they have an HP - but are not really happy with the quality of printed photos. They have been considering a Canon or maybe an Epson Ecotank.

As we have several excellent photographers in here I thought I would ask - what would you choose and why?

I have always used Epson. The ink is quite expensive but the finished photo is really good. I have tried using compatible inks but on two occasions it messed the printer up. Red came out a dirty orange colour. I had to clean the print head and only use actual ink.

1 Like

Thank you, David, will pass that on.

ST
I print my own photos so may be of some help. I have an EpsonXP-950 a new model is the 960 I believe.few reasons why i like this one
1= will print up to A3 but still the printer footprint size is same as an A4 printer
2- also a scanner
3= accept SD and CF cards to get photos from
4= uses 6 colour cartridges
does more but those are what Ii use mainly and had it for a good few year and has wifi as well.

ok about printing
never ever use third party ink only original. I have found third party ink clogs up the jets in the printer.
I only use best quality paper such as below which is also quick drying

Of course choice of paper is down to personal preference I don’t like matt paper but that is me.
The colour reproduction I find is excellent
please bare in mind this is a photo of an A3 photo and via the internet from that printer. The actual photo is a lot better but gives an idea of colour

Thank you very much, Realspeed, that is very helpful. Both of my friemds are good photographers - he is into Aircraft, and she is into Wildlfe.

Had an email from my friends today - giving their thanks to you all for your help.