A Trip to the Baltic Sea

Spent a few days at Luebeck Bay which was a 500 km drive (one way) from where I live and it gave me the chance to test my new car thoroughly. The weather was ideal: always sunny, not too warm, not windy - just as I like it. We rented a three-room apartment on the ground floor with patio and lawn around it so that Sari felt like at home and I didn’t need to walk her in the morning.
Perhaps not surprising but it was a kind of new experience for me that this time the difference between the lake by which I live now and this part of the Baltic Sea was not as huge any more as it used to be compared to the place where I had to live before my move to the lake.

Why Luebeck Bay? Because it is a place through which the former inner German border once extended which makes this area especially interesting to me. I like the contrast between the vibrating city of Luebeck with its many-faceted history and the calm coastal region of the eastern bay which once belonged to that 9 miles-long restricted-access protective strip secured by border troopers with powerful mobile searchlights as seen in the pic and other equipment. If I had been out of luck, I could have been one of them. There was no choice. Whenever I drive across this strip of land and pass by some still existing former watchtowers used by the 6th Border Brigade Coast I have a strange feeling and rejoice at the same time.

There we are: me, my wife, and the dog having to follow the long list of inevitable beach rules of course and being directed to the least attractive part of the beach everywhere because of the dog. Sari enjoyed it nonetheless except the salt water.

There also was a pier:

The huge posters show the last fishermen still earning a living by fishing but being doomed as “The last in their guild”.

Always being protected by a lot or rules.

Tried the local beer for a change and liked it. Do you still have those flip-top bottles, too?

Contrasting spa garden and urban Hanseatic architecture. If there are some gaps to be filled with new houses, the patrician style is patterned on which I like.

Cobblestone wherever you go and drive.

Living in an old cowshed.

Marina with old fisher boats and new residences.

Those houseboats are for rent: USD 2000 a week.

I like those thatched cottages as in this hamlet here although I wouldn’t want to live in them. Very British?

Town gate from the 15th century.

Took a stroll around the port and discovered the Cinderella Noel III built by Sunseeker, UK and owned by Swiss Konrad Schnyder which seems to be a bit out of place among the old fisher boats and sailing boats. She is 35m long and he bought her because his wife doesn’t like sailing which is his passion. The current crew of five is too small so that he’s having a 50m yacht built.

A sense of urbanity was also established by being exposed to English frequently:

And the inevitable proof of climate-caused erosion at a cliff coast.

For those who are not good on foot or who have no bike.

Jogging along the beach was enjoyable:

Totally different from where I do it at home:

The same applies to the waves: above: sea; below: at home

and also to the beach: below at home

5 Likes

Great Photos, Dachs, looks like a lovely place. Thank you for sharing.

You have a very pretty wife!

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much, that was real armchair travelling and somewhere I’ve never heard about before xxxx

Smashing photos, pretty wife, cute dog, what more can you ask for? :rofl::+1:

2 Likes

Great photos Dachs, very interesting too.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing where you have been , I love to see differant places .
Some of the Beach rules are the same over here .
And in some places the Sea is eroding the cliff tops .

Thanks to you and your wife …

1 Like

Lovely pictures Dachs. This brought back memories of a summer camp at Eckernförde beach when I was doing my national service.

1 Like

Great photos, Dachs! It looks like such an interesting place! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Dachs.Nice to see all the family having a good time.I like the idea of those posters of the fishermen. :grinning:

1 Like

Great photos Dachs, I always loved to run in a new environment while on holiday.
What a pretty row of houses, and there are still quite a few of those thatched roofs around here but I don’t blame you for not wanting to live in them, too many spiders and crawly things for my liking.
Sari looks excited to be on holiday too.
My best friend from the old days used to work for Sunseeker when he moved down south.
Thanks for showing us a little bit of your life.

1 Like

What a lovely place, Dachs. And a place to enjoy.

1 Like