A Long Lost Huddersfield Waterway

4 Likes

Ahem.There’s some interesting people about.Not my sort of hobby :grinning:

Looks like a prototype Hadron :grin:

That was interesting.
Some of the brickwork was amazing and built in cramped conditions.

3 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed that, it’s actually inspired me to dig out the neodymium magnet and indulge in a little magnet fishing again.

There’s no way I’m going to venture into culverts… I’m getting claustrophobic just thinking about it!

2 Likes

I don’t know how potholers do it. I would freeze at the thought of being confined below ground!

2 Likes

Yeah…or even worse, cave diving :scream:

2 Likes

The only kind of diving that ever appealed to me was muff diving :grin::+1:and that’s only because I’m an ear breather LOL

2 Likes

Blimey…I don’t know what to say which makes a pleasant change!

Maybe you should start a YouTube channel of your own? :wink:

1 Like

Hi

A somewhat different take on things.

Well worth a read, not a conspiracy view, but accurate.

I know the place, arrived in Huddersfield as a pre school toddler, left in my twenties after qualifying and doing my APC and my first Post Graduate Qualification.

It is where my interest in Science began and my journey into toxic
substances.

Huddersfield started out in the wool trade, a lot of very old money there.

Wool demanded dyes, different colourings, hence the development of a primitive chemical industry.
This rapidly expanded as more refined and stronger dyes were developed and then other uses for these chemicals were found.

This led to Huddersfield becoming the epicentre of the chemical industry.

Some of these stronger dyes had other properties, not only toxic but explosive as well.

We have all heard of TNT, the explosive, but how many of heard of DNT, the precurser

The result was a huge concentration of Chemical Factories.

We can dig deeper and find the maps of them.

A simple one, there are maps of old chemical works and tanks demolished and filled in for decades.

Not all where filled in, many are still there and leaking.

DNT is the precursor of TNT, the explosive.

It is also the precursor of many highly toxic Agricultural Chemicals, many of which are now banned.

Huddersfield was the home of ICI Dyestuffs, a joke as what they were producing was far more dangerous than that.

It is now Huddersfield nostalgia: 100 years since the start of Syngenta - YorkshireLive

It is now owned by the Chinese under a different name, they got all the research and formulas for peanuts.

It produces agricultural chemicals, AKA, organophosphates, the advanced ones being Novichok, a spectacular own goal.

The perils of Social Media, they went down a culvert for a long way, one not even wearing gloves, no emergency method of contact. no medication or oxygen, no protective equipment.

They put themselves and others, the emergency workers who would have had to go down to get them out at risk.

Why not clean it all up?

Simply not enough money and where would you put the materials removed?

1 Like

Sod that! That’s the one that can cause cancer if I remember correctly.

1 Like

It was interesting but at college i did a lot of caving/potholing and that was a lot more interesting than doing that.

2 Likes

What I found appealing was the social history, the brickwork, the remnants of an old wall and indeed the tragic short story at the end of the video.

As I think Ripple alluded to in an earlier post… imagine being down there laying all those bricks, it almost defies imagination.

1 Like

I agree with what you say but doing it just doesn’t appeal. Potholing is clean and seeing what nature has done is far more appealing

1 Like

Yep…I suppose I’ve never quite thought about it like that before :+1:

Very interesting Furry, I love stuff like this, although rather them than me, it’s nice watching others scramble around in claustrophobic tunnels while I’m sat comfy in a warm dry kitchen eating my breakfast. I just found the young girls face jewelry hideous and could not take my eyes off it and missed some of the things she said…

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah…that jewelry was off putting.

1 Like

Her piercings did draw the eye undoubtedly.
I was watching another of her videos on YouTube in which she mentioned mental health issues. I’m not suggesting that the two are related but I’m looking forward to watching some more of her ventures.

1 Like

Me too Chilli, I found it very interesting despite the distraction…

2 Likes