A change in standards

Well ive learned something today.
I did not know that other than white tops are not recycable.
I picked up a carton of semi from Tesco yesterday and it had a green top as usual.
I have wondered why they do that too Dextrous63,maybe they are practicng skimming caps on to the sea which we loved doing as a child,just a thought.

1 Like

oh yes that is so annoying. It started with taking the plastic lids off the smaller tubs and I used to take a lid off the bigger tubs and transfer it. Didnā€™t make a difference at the till. But now none have lids :frowning:

2 Likes

That is something that really annoys my lovely fella.
He buys large pots of yoghurt and many of them no longer have a plastic lid to keep the air out after opening.
He used to chunter about it every time we were buying yoghurt and on the odd occasions we bought a pot of cream.
I bought him a couple of these MooPops re-usable silicon tops and put them in his Christmas Stocking last year!
He thinks they are great. I bought mine from Lakeland (I think you can probably get them from Amazon too if you want to use that company)

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t it be great if we could buy reusable pots and bottles with screw on lids for certain foodstuffs which we could return to shops for a small refund/credit note. :wink:

I think they determined the costs of cleaning glass milk bottles for reuse were too high. So assume this would be the same.

1 Like

Am sure I saw something about a beer company in Denmark or Sweden or somewhere like that that recycles bottles (sold in supermarkets) by washing them, so it surely canā€™t be too far off the mark. In any case, isnā€™t recycling plastics going to be dearer?

1 Like

For us it costs Ā£1.05 per pint. That includes the cost of cleaning the bottles . At Tesco it is Ā£Ā£0.92/litre but I get fresh three times a week and I donā€™t have to cart it to the store.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s about money - but about the original cost of say milk in a glass bottle itā€™s more expensive because the bottles are smaller than the 4 pint/6 pint etc and those are the most popular sellers. Not economical for companies to do both as having the milk recyclable + the washing processing plant to pick up and wash them as well as parallel running of plastic for the 4pints etcā€¦ Iā€™m just guessing thatā€™s the reason. Also in terms of logistics the plastic bottles stack well.

You can buy a 4 pint in plastic for not much more (less than Ā£1.50). Consumer choice will tend to that. I suppose it depends on how much milk you use but for a large family they will never go for the glass option unless they are loaded.

Itā€™s just an observation. But given the state of the UK at the moment, with spiralling inflation, ever rising crime figures etc etc. Is it not wonderful that something like the colour of a bottle top still matters to us?

Has anyone else read Max Ehrmannā€™s poem Desdirata? Max wrote: ā€œAnd whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.ā€

2 Likes

I love that poem.

ā€œBe Cheerful, Strive to be happyā€ I keep that line with me all the time. But the poem is on my kitchen wall.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œAnnieS, post:29, topic:93528ā€]
You can buy a 4 pint in plastic for not much more (less than Ā£1.50). Consumer choice will tend to that. I suppose it depends on how much milk you use but for a large family they will never go for the glass option unless they are loaded.[/quote]

Yes, I do accept your point. We are old pharts and we use just three pints a week. It is simple and very convenient. We get the grand kids around two or three a year and we buy milk from a grocery store.- in plastic !

Believe me I wish they could make it work. I would love a return to the old milkman and glass bottles model. It made so much sense to have a milkman who would sell all sorts of other things, even bacon and eggs & yoghurts.

1 Like

Milk is grounding & familiar. A constant in this whirlwind of change. A pause in our lives to have a cup of tea, add milk (and sugar if you use it) sit down and contemplate.

2 Likes

bombs bombs who mentioned bombs in these scary days?

To be honest I havenā€™t seen any of that yet,Dex.

On saying that, I did see a white top milk carton / plastic bottle in my sons fridge, I never questioned it, I just thought to myself, why is he getting less fat milk, heā€™s already down to the red bottle topā€¦I thought it had less fat.

As for the layout of the supermarkets, they are forever changing that here, any idea why?..

1 Like

If you know where everything you want is, then youā€™re less likely to forage and impulse buy. Moving things around tends to lead to you slipping a couple more impulse buying things into your basket. Thatā€™s the theory and we have to assume it works otherwise they wouldnā€™t bother shifting things around every so often.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good point.

I have always impulse bought in supermarkets.

Iā€™ve stopped now and only get what I need, due to the high living costs and electricity sky high prices.

1 Like

Havenā€™t we all?! Itā€™s the random stuff that sometimes gets us. Saw one of those dangly cards with a load of tin openers on it,ā€¦in the bread aisle!?

1 Like

Mr B was puzzled to find our four pinter had a white top recently. Puzzled, because it was only half full, so why hadnā€™t either of us noticed it earlier? The mystery was solved at the end of the week, when I went to refill my meds organiser. I reached for my vitamins tub, to find it had a green milk carton lid on it. I must have been refilling the previous Sunday morning while making myself a cuppa, and inadvertently switched lids :joy:

1 Like