A bit of a low mood tonight . .

Solo that is so sad, that you have to live with bad memories. My worst experience was my 1 year old pup, who I had bred, was in an RTA a few years ago. I will never get over that experience. Only a dog/animal owner and lover will understand what agony we go through when our pets leave us.

Oh Mups, I just know how bad it makes you feel and I vowed after my beautiful spring spaniel and my old cat that I would never ever have anymore as I cant make the heart breaking decision again.

What I did do to try to lessen the stress on me but mainly Elle I got the vet to come out to our house to do the awful deed and I will never as long as I live forget when the vet knocked on the door Elle barked, this is some 20 years ago and I can still weep for her.

Its the last thing we can do for our beloved pets, they cant do it themselves.
My post wont help you ( sorry) but I do understand as do many other posters.

It never gets easier-I think it gets harder.

Mups my heart goes out to you and your old girl, and as others have said you will know when the time is right.

When our Sammy was poorly and we were taking her to the vets, we asked the question about when the time would be right and the vet said we would know. She kept rallying for quite a while before we had to make the awful decision. But to this day although it still hurts we knew.

Lots of love to you both.

Thanks Shirley. At the moment she seems a bit brighter again. I cooked her some Lamb mince for her tea tonight, and she has just eaten it all up, so that pleased me. She has gone back to bed now, her legs are pretty wobbly, but she is coping at the moment. I’ve just got to play it by ear, but I’m glad I managed to get the drugs from the vet for when the time comes.

Sorry to hear about your poorly companion,its always worrying at times like these, at least she had a wonderful life shared with yourself, hopefully long may it continue…

Thankyou Nom. It’s a constant drain on emotions when I’ve struggled to decide to make the phone call next day, only to find when the next day arrives, she is much brighter again, so I can’t bring myself to do it.

If she is still with me next week, I am taking her to my animal chiropractor next week, to find out if there is a problem with her lower spine that might be causing her back legs to let her down. I will lift her in and out of the car as she can’t jump in now.
Many years ago, when she was young, she slipped a disc in that area and I just want it get it checked out, rather than merely assume its old age and nothing can be done.
I shall feel better in my own head if I know beyond doubt that I’ve done as much as I can.

Thinking of you both Mups x

Bless you Patsy. x x

Just been reading about the healing Mups - I’m going to see if theres a healer in my area - worth a try …

Make sure you find a reputable one Patsy.
A local spiritualist church might be a safe starting place? Otherwise a therapy centre perhaps?

Thinking of you both

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/36/a9/07/36a9074da072d9a70c02549c8a593786.jpg

Aah, I like that Solo, thankyou. x

How are things this week Mups been thinking about you.

Thanks for the kind thoughts Shirley.
It’s really difficult and worrying still, because one day she looks as if she won’t get through the night, and next day she is eating and looks happier again.
Twice over the last few days she has gone out into the garden for a wee and then just fallen over, which distresses her. Then last night a friend came and the old gal made me out a liar and went up to greet her wagging her tail!
I keep a wide soft scarf next to her bed now, so if she is a bit wobbly I can just pass it under her tummy and hold her up for support until she ‘gets going’. She doesn’t object to that and if steadies her.
Sometimes if her legs are bad, she can’t seem to manage to stand long enough to eat her tea so gives up and goes back to bed. At first I thought she just wasn’t hungry, then I realised what the problem was, so offered her the last bit in bed, where she will happily finish it all up then.
Thankyou for asking.:slight_smile:

Ah Mups - must be so difficult for you Xx

It is difficult for me Patsy, but I try to think it must be much more difficult for her.

If I go by my own circumstances - I would say its equal Mups, so just as hard for you - making her comfortable is the best you can do and cherish each day, as I know you will Xx

A little more update.
I had a word with my vet earlier this week and asked him if he had any objections if I took my old gal to my chiropractor for a check up. He said OK.
My thoughts were, I know no one can make her young again, but I’ve been worried by her back legs giving way of late, and just wondered if it was something in her spine causing the problem. I didn’t want to be wondering to myself when she’s gone, whether there was something I could have tried, and didn’t.
I forgot to tell you, that many years ago, when she was young, she put a disc in her back out. Lately, when I stroke her, or brush her, she ‘twitches’ when I get to that part of her spine, and I just wanted to find out if that was what was making her legs weak now.
So I lifted her into the car, and off we went.
My Chiropractic friend gave her a good check over and made quite a few gentle adjustments along her spine, neck and pelvis and Pips didn’t so much as squeak in protest, so I knew the treatment didn’t hurt her.
Afterwards, my friend said to let her have a wander around outside because often pelvic adjustments make them want to wee. Sure enough, she wee’d almost straightaway.
We lifted her back into my car and eventually started the journey home.

This evening she got out of her bed and came into the kitchen and asked for her tea, which she proceeded to eat happily and licked the bowl clean.
She looked up at me, and I swear her eyes twinkled. She then went out into the garden and sat in the sunshine, looking at the birds for a while, before gently turning round and toddling back to her bed.
She seems very peaceful tonight, sleeping soundly and apparently content.
I shall see how she is tomorrow, but fingers crossed, we’ve helped her a bit today. I do hope so.

What a lovely post, Mups. Let’s hope she twinkles for a good bit longer. x