50 Years since Australia was Changed for Ever

50 years ago a seismic change happened in the Australian Political scene with the election of the Whitlam Government after 26 years of stagnant conservative government. The government only lasted three years but changed Australia for ever.

It spelled the end of conscription, the introduction of sewage in the suburbs, free tertiary education, universal health care and the end of the White Australia Policy.

The legacy was summed up best by Noel Pearson at Whitlam’s memorial service.

Thirty-eight years later we are like John Cleese, Eric Idle and Michael Palin’s Jewish insurgents ranting against the despotic rule of Rome, defiantly demanding “and what did the Romans ever do for us anyway?”

• “Apart from Medibank?”
  • “and the Trade Practices Act 1974?”
  • “cutting tariff protections?”
  • “no-fault divorce and the Family Law Act 1975?”
  • “the Australia Council?”
  • “the Federal Court?”
  • “the Order of Australia?”
  • “federal legal aid?”
  • “the Racial Discrimination Act 1975?”
  • “needs-based schools funding?”
  • “the recognition of China?”
  • “The Heritage Commission?”
  • “non-discriminatory immigration rules?”
  • “community health clinics?”
  • “Aboriginal land rights?”
  • “paid maternity leave for public servants?”
  • “lowering the minimum voting age to 18 years?”
  • “fair electoral boundaries and Senate representation for the Territories?”

Apart from all of this, what did this Roman ever do for us?”

Brilliant!

Not that Whitlam didn’t make mistakes - too much too fast and too little explanation - something the long lasting Hawke/Keating Government learned from

So what has all that got to do with the price of fish?? :rofl:

he likes to lash out sometimes and blame the old country!! there there brucy lad calm down and just hope ya not with medibank?

Gough Whitlam doesn’t lash out at anyone, he has been dead for eight years.

Presumably you are talking about Medibank Private Health Insurance which was started by the Fraser Government after the dismissal of the Whitlam Government and hence nothing to do with Gough Whitlam.

Perhaps you would like to comment on something relevant to the Whitlam government and its 50th Anniversary?

I’m glad you mentioned that because of course reducing the protectionist import tariffs did markedly affect the price of fish. The Whitlam Government also created the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park to protect fish and other species.

A very good point RS, thank you for raising it and pointing out yet another debt of gratitude the world owes to the Whitlam government.

I was referrin to you nerd

The motherland is still here for Bruce and gumbud, we (I) hold no resentment.

You may not recognize it though.

I 'll be buyin one of those village that penelope keeps oozin on about!

Just wait till you go in the village Shop!

wot not emptied - but seriously some of the inhabited ones with a surviving pub and church and one shop or two and aussie tourists milling around look very enticing but you’d be stuffed without a car heh? but that’s the old england just at the end of the rainbow! oh yes must have a stream and a rainbow!

It’s all about the stone, and the brick, it’s nowt to do with the present people.

oh are they fallin to pieces then?

The people, yes, probably, one day, there will be a Cotswolds with no folk, and, a tree will fall silently. :icon_wink:

well I’d love to be there to hear it then cannie stand the sound of silence? hello silence my old friend!

You’ve come to talk to me again

darlin were we ever apart?

Depends on yer genda.

I’m a gender bender friender?

Wow! Thank you… I didn’t realise I had such influence.