50 Years Old

It hardly seems possible but it is the 50th Anniversary of the opening of the Sydney Opera House.

When I first came to Australia I lived at Cremorne Point on the north shore of Sydney Harbour and watched from my flat the Opera House being built.

2 Likes

I went there once. On a school trip from Tassie.
Might have been 1976? For some reason, the school thought it would be great for us young adults to sit through a piano recital. All I know about that afternoon was that I fell asleep. :yawning_face:

1 Like

I can’t say that I blame you being more of a harpsichord man myself.

What an alternative this might have been.

I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for The Seekers and the lovely Judith Durham.

2 Likes

I’ve always admired the architecture of the Sydney Opera House.
I would love to go there if I ever visit Australia.

I did have the opportunity of accompanying my two sisters on a trip to Australia some years ago - unfortunately my work commitments prevented me from joining them. Sydney was the first place on their itinerary.
They bought tickets to see one of my favourite Operas by Verdi - La Traviata - at the Sydney Opera House.
I was so envious! - then my sisters confessed to me later that they were so tired with jet lag that they both fell asleep quite early in the performance and missed most of the Opera!
What a waste!

1 Like

I vaguely remember a Dame Edna joke.“I slept with the Australian PM last night.We were both in the Sydney Opera House at the time”

1 Like