40 years on...Falklands war

Good article - thank you, Cinderella. I remember the remarkable Simon Weston as well.

Good articles, it doesn’t seem that long ago, does it?

It’s always fascinating to hear what it was like for real people in these times of history

I have a friend at work who has just turned sixty who was in the army and stationed in the Falklands for a while

He tells some interesting tales

1 Like

I was just a young 'un in high school when this all started. I remember my modern studies teacher getting all irate over it.

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder why he was ‘irate’.
Was it anger at the Argies invading the Falklands and causing the deaths of many of our troops?
Or was it anger at those nasty British soldiers killing those poor misunderstood Argies?
I wonder!

It seems many had to find their own way to deal with their emotions.

I can’t remember his reasons for it…he just went on and on about it, getting more and more angry the longer the lesson went on. I ended up heading for the library when it was time to go to his class in the end.

Strange that he didn’t say why he was angry about it. Still, you know teachers!

1 Like

He was an angry man all round really. I just avoided him :frowning_face:

Perhaps he was from Argentina.
Did he appear unkempt and unshaven? :rofl:

1 Like

I was overseas at the time .
There was a doctor there who refused to treat my then four year old son.
We were kept in the waiting room for hours.
When he was obliged by his superior to see us ) he was somewhat embarrassed and said I thought that you were an Argentinian
I was on the Galahad , I saw my friends die.
I was only young then and didn’t know what to say we were in a foreign land and had absolutely nothing to do with a conflict thousands of miles away .
The nurse however was not so shy and was incensed at his behaviour .
Looking back now I see he was severely traumatised and probably should not have been working at all .

Ha! No, he was Scottish. Dour faced, mind you but not Argentinian.

Ah, an SNP supporter then!