3D printed fountain pens and feeds

I love fountain pens. The thing about fountain pens is finding one that matches what you want. Pens come in so many shapes and sizes. The feed determines how much ink feeds to the nib. Finding one to meet your specifications can be pricey because it might take a lot of buying before you get the right balance that you like.

With a 3D printer, some people have been creating pens to their own specifications. It’s still early days in this craft, but it will be fun to see this evolving.

Here’s a feed that’s 3D printed that creates a wetter writing experience.

Here’s a 3D printed pen and feed.

2 Likes

Don’t some people just mod their feed? I’m pretty sure I saw some YouTube videos about that :smiley:

I think part of having a fountain pen is how it looks and feels, a 3D printed one would just look a bit too, er, ugly for me :lol:

1 Like

I looked it up and saw one guy using an exacto knife to widen the channel on a feed. That’s dangerous business. Those feed channels are only a couple hairs’ width. One tiny cut too much and the feed is useless, making globs of ink on the page. I haven’t seen too many replacement feeds so that makes the whole pen not usable.

That’s where the 3D printed feed could come in handy.

Not me. I don’t care all that much how my pen looks. I want it to be smooth as silk gliding on the page with a wet ink flow and keeps up with a fast speed of writing. I use my fountain pens to get my thoughts to paper, the faster the better. The feel counts if it slows my writing down.

For me, if the pen looks beautiful as well, that’s a bonus, but not the main reason I get/use the pen.

1 Like

Found this video on fountain pen materials interesting. The question is about the difference between resin, plastic and celluloid. As far as I can tell, resin, acrylic and plastic are all plastic. Celluloid might have some extra stuff in it. But besides metal, those are the main components of most fountain pen bodies.

Brian Goulet says that some companies like to call some plastics resin because it sounds better than any other plastic, but they’re all plastic.

If that’s true, maybe the material in 3D printing in the future will allow for the same materials used in fountain pens now.

[time stamped]

1 Like

I’m not a fan of plastic myself, I much prefer recyclable materials (and generally just prefer metal for a pen) :smiley:

1 Like

Hopefully, there will be more readily available and recyclable bioplastics in the future. For now, metal is more recyclable. Luckily, many fountain pens can last for generations. There are only a few intentionally recyclable fountain pens I’ve seen lately.

Metal pen recycling info. I found

https://www.pens.co.uk/news/blog/metal-pens-an-accessible-recycling-option.php

1 Like

The pen in the picture above is made of PLA a recyclable, biodegradable plastic basically made from corn starch.

1 Like

Yeah a good pen should last - I am hoping I won’t need to replace this one :smiley: I might experiment with different nibs (maybe we need a thread for that :lol:)

I’m still not fussed tbh - metals have such a variety of different uses and feel a little closer to nature for my liking. Plastics need all sorts of different chemicals. I do my best to avoid them even if recyclable (I hate that my water comes in a plastic bottle for instance!) :upside_down_face:

I took up a new hobby it’s 3d printing. I still don’t understand well, it takes me a lot of time to figure it out, but I’m not in a hurry. I bought myself an inexpensive printer with Сreality3D, for the first time, then maybe I’ll choose something more interesting.I hope I’ll start printing some cool stuff soon.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, JessieJim!

I hope to hear more about your 3D printing hobby.