2030 looms for those with diesel or petrol cars

Electric car charger rollout flourishing as petrol and diesel ban looms | Express.co.uk.

We will stop driving, maybe sooner as the roads deteriorate to dangerous state.

How absolutely brain dead are these people pushing for electric vehicles.

Ignore all these quotes for distance of travel, ok if you don’t have the heater on- radio on- headlights on-wipers on etc let alone outside temperature or number of people in the car. Those combinations will cut at least a third of mileage claimed if not more,so up to 50%.
These are what they don’t mention notwithstanding cost of around £11,000 for replacement battery, that is if it hasn’t caught fire, oh and the recovery of electric vehicles if they run out of power will be astronomical.
I can forsee so many breakdowns on motorways due to run out of power the motorway will be littered with them. Mark my words

6 Likes

I’ll just carry on driving whatever unleaded petrol car I have at the time, if I’m still alive and driving by 2030.
The “ban” is only on selling new petrol and diesel cars and vans after 2030.
You can still drive petrol and diesel manufactured before 2030, if their emissions are low enough, so I expect the Used Car Market will continue for a few years after that.
Considering my previous car lasted me 17 years before I traded it in,I think I’ll still be able to see out my driving days in the petrol car I have now - or I may switch to a younger model just before the change kicks in, if I’m still driving then.

Anyway, judging by the way the Government keeps putting back the deadlines they put on everything because they never get their ducks in a row in time, the switch may not even happen in 2030 - I might have popped my clogs before they have installed sufficient battery charging points to meet demand!

1 Like

Consider them marked! :white_check_mark:

1 Like

One branch of my family has a business that is flourishing thanks to this deadline. They deal in and rebuild 2nd hand ICE cars for those unwilling to buy new or 2nd hand EV’s. The money to be made is truly amazing despite the regional difficulty finding the right car to invest in.

Yes the distances quoted are less than real world driving and, using the ancillaries will deplete the battery, but most people only do short trips of a few miles and would probably only require charging once or twice a week, longer distances would require a bit more planning and an electric car will give you plenty of warning that you need to charge up, they don’t just stop, if they do, the breakdown companies now have vans that can give you a quick charge to get you to the nearest charging station, batteries are normally warranted for 8-10 years, and, while there have been reported cases of electric cars catching fire, I reckon it’s far less than conventional petrol or diesel vehicles…

2 Likes

People seem to be under the misconception that all ice cars will be banned from 2030, its only the sale of NEW, cars that will be banned, you will still be able to buy used vehicles for some time afterwards…

Things may be looking different if fuel prices have risen noticeably by 2030 as forecast and electricity has got cheaper. I doubt, though, that it’ll affect me in any way since I’ll be past my sell-by date anyway.

Spot on with that observation and it’s one my family are benefiting from already :+1:

Having recently used Motorways to Gatwick, there will need to be more than are currently available.
How many EV charging points are there in the UK - Zapmap.

Interesting comments

I went for hybrid , my next car will be electric.
The safe disposal of batteries is another problem waiting to occur.

1 Like

Also the cost to replace when they have reached the end of their life.

A neighbour has an electric car,and the RAC has been out to fix whatever is wrong with it over 30 times in the last 6 months to my knowledge.
I will not have one full stop.
And they are not as environmentally friendly as people make out.

2 Likes

There have always been rogue vehicles regardless of the fuel used.
To write off what will soon to be your only option when buying a new car .
Hybrids and plug in hybrids will be given a stay of execution until 2035

I’m hoping they have some whizzy new technology by then and don’t plan to give up petrol to move to electric. The whole lithium pollution issue cannot be ignored. Creating cleaner air on one side of the world and environmental disaster in another.

2 Likes

OOPS!

China Could Control a Third of The World’s Lithium by 2025

Not just lithium. They have been buying rights to precious metals and minerals for some time now. Particularly in Africa. Chile is moving to nationalise it’s lithium supplies.

Disposing of old batteries is also going to be an environmental issue not even taken into account.

1 Like

What’s the way ahead for individual transport then, I wonder?

Like you I thought …The disposal of EV batteries was a catastrophe waiting to happen. It seems not.
The internet is full of batterie recycling info
Indeed, many British firms are in the race to recycle EV batteries

This is a interesting read