2023: It was the best of times. It was the worst of times

2023 was a stressful year but a good one for me.

The best thing I can remember is getting a bunch of things on sale on Black Friday. That was serendipity at its best. Stuff I was looking for all just happened to be at great prices.

The worst thing was (and is) my neighbors. It’s a constant struggle.

What are the best and worst things that happened to you in 2023?

I can’t decide if it was best or worst but I retired

It came as more of a shock to me than I expected and I’m not sure about it

I miss the young people, the office gossip, the deadlines and tension, being in charge, having a sense of purpose and contributing and being part of something real and being busy all the time

I don’t miss the early mornings, the commuting, the backstabbing and whinging or the work itself, which was sometimes difficult and stressful or being tired all the time

2 Likes

The worst has to be all the deaths me and my family had. Family members, and a friend of mine, started in January and I think totalled 8. Two ex wives of my brother, an uncle and aunt on dad’s side, my late mum’s sister in law, mum’s cousin and that lady’s sister in law. And a friend of mine from the allotment.

Ill health of brother, sister in law, brother in law. Worrying about my two sisters. The younger one now officially on the transplant list for a second kidney. Older sister having to care for her husband and suffers with high bp.

The constant, like butter, fall outs with neighbours. Not so much fall out with me, but trying to cope with their behaviour.

Losing the battle with the allotment because of wet, cold and windy weather. And the decision recently not to continue after another year or so.

My ongoing cough problem, and not getting an ENT appointment.

Stepping away from the writing group. But that may come under the good.

The good. Seeing my sister and brother in law, and brother and sister in law this year, when on a trip to London early in the year, and dear friends. Then later, on another visit, meeting ex colleagues.

The continuing friendship with the ladies in the coffee club.

Getting to know more neighbours and people around here.

1 Like

I haven’t minded 2023 so far, no restrictions on movement (except fuel prices), floods, bushfires didn’t affect me. Had a great family holiday with a couple of my kids to Uluru and am still this side of the grass.

All upside for me I think.