2022 Winter Fuel Payment

There are about 12 and half million people claiming a State Pension in UK.
Of those, less than 1 and half million are claiming Pension Credit.
The Government estimate that around £1.7 billion in benefits is not being claimed.
I would urge any Pensioner who is on the breadline or anyone who knows a pensioner who is on the breadline to have a look at whether they are eligible to apply for Pension Credit.
Even if it only tops their income up by a very small amount per week, it is one of the “gateway benefits” that means they are eligible for other means-tested benefits.

Here’s some info and advice about it:

1 Like

Why means test ?
The extra tenner could easily be paid to those in receipt of benefit payments.

Wouldn’t be my choice …but if you like !

I’d rather see the money go towards affordable housing here in the U.K.

1 Like

I gave mine to a food bank.

2 Likes

Mine went to a food bank and my wife’s went to the Salvation Arny

2 Likes

I donate by direct debit to the Trussle Trust, Also AgeUK

I feel I’m entitled to spend my £10 on a extra box Lindt chocolate truffles… they are my favourites. The large box is on offer at Ocado.
Until this year I had no idea I got a £10 Xmas bonus….that’s why this free for all over a certain age in my opinion should stop.
It’s made no difference to my life , but the money saved could make a difference if paid to those on benefits.
Or channelled into a worthy cause.
Social housing, affordable housing ,new dialysis machines for the NHS ,pothole repair …whatever

1 Like

Had another £67 in today, my payments to date:

22 Dec, £67
29 Nov, £66
01 Nov, £66

That’s not the Government Winter Fuel Payment Azz . Those are the Energy monthly rebates .

2 Likes

What’s the difference Zuleika? :icon_redface: :lol:

You have to be drawing a pension to qualify for the Winter Fuel Payment.

1 Like

The Winter Fuel Payment is,as Jazzi said ,a once yearly payment for those in receipt of the State Pension .
The Energy Rebate is a one - off so far as we know to help with the rising cost of heating our homes ,not restricted to those in receipt of the state pension .

1 Like

I haven’t received mine yet. :cry:

Have you had the letter though?
If you’ve not been paid by 13 January 2023, check your account before you contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre.

Yes, I have had the letter, this is the fist time I haven’t had it
before Christmas.

Apologies!! It is there! Sitting snugly in my bank account… :joy:

Phew!!!

I have just been looking at my account balance with my provider and was shocked to find £200 has been added to my account by the Government (this is in addition to the £67 a month for 6 months.

I was about to contact them saying they had made a mistake but went to look it up first to check and found it is an 'alternative fuel payment ’ for those who don’t have gas :smiley:. I had not heard about it…

Meg can you explain further because this thread is about the Government’s Winter Fuel Payment senior citizens receive every year in varying amounts ?
The monthly £67 is from the Energy companies .

Why I’m commenting is because my best friend doesn’t have gas but hasn’t what you’re saying here .

If you use alternative fuels for heating

You may be eligible for a £200 Alternative Fuels Payment (AFP) if both the following are true:

• your household is not connected to the mains gas grid
  • you use alternative fuels as your main form of heating

This is on top of the £400 from your electricity supplier.

You’re eligible for this payment if the main way you heat your home uses:

• tank or bottled gas
  • liquid petroleum gas (LPG)
  • oil
  • wood
  • solid fuel

Most homes that are eligible for this payment will get it automatically as a credit on their electricity bills from February 2023.

You may not get the payment automatically if your home is either:

• in an area which is mainly connected to the gas grid
  • not connected to either the gas or the electricity grid

If you do not get this payment automatically

You may have to apply for this payment through the AFP Alternative Fund if you do not get it automatically - for example, because you do not have a contract with an electricity supplier.

3 Likes

Boot thanks for that . I see it’s listing the types of fuel you would have to use to qualify .

And still people complain that we are neglected and hard done by.