19% Rise in Electricity Price today

Hi

We are net importers of electricity and we have a market forces system of supply costs.

There was a fire in one of the import stations.

We need some strategic planning.

Should have a couple of nuclear reactors. All this airy fairy wind and solar stuff is obviously not able to cope when demand gets high. If the wind gets to strong the turbines shut down and if the sun don’t shine the panels take forever to charge . Relying on France given the feelings at the minute is in itself a worry.

2 Likes

It’s true that we need more nuclear, if we cancelled HS2 we could build three nuclear power stations for the same money, and much more useful.

2 Likes

As I understand it there’s a plan involving Rolls Royce to build mini-reactors called SMR’s:

The MP Sir John Redwood discussed the electricity problem in his dairy entry today:
https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2021/09/16/we-need-more-electricity/

Exactly. And to make matters worth, those money-grabbers are trying to convince us all to ditch gas heating in favour of electricity. Then there are all the clowns rushing out to buy EV cars!

When we do actually buy a new nuclear power station, guess who we get to set it up and run it? Yes, the Fr— and the Chinese!

Who on earth is running this fair country? Mickey Mouse?

Minnie Mouse I think (otherwise known as Carrie)

I was with Bristol Energy a couple of years back and it was probably the worst supplier I have come across. During the first year they tried to put my direct debit up by 15% but back down when I asked for the data on which they based this price rise I also pointed out that I was always around £100 in credit.
The second year they got more greedy and tried to put my supply up by 32% there had been no wholesale price increase at this time and I was still in credit. This time I went for a full on complaint which went all the way to the ombudsman who found in my favour and I was compensated.
A lot of firms offer a low price just to sign you up, I know what I should be paying each month for gas and electricity and if their quote is lower then I increase it to what I consider the right amount I should be paying.

1 Like

Ah yes! And I thought it might be Boris!

Good point. I have just joined ‘Outfox the Market’ and am about £170 in credit. Of course, it is still generally warm weather though cold weather is on the way. I’ll decide soon whether I want to reduce my monthly payments…
and the company had better agree if I do!

Dunno about MM, but I do think this country has been well and truly Donald Ducked by our clown of a PM, the eejit!!

1 Like

Hi

The Rolls Royce thing is a minimum of 10 years away and that is if it funded and approved now.

Good Luck with that one.

Here in the UK have have an appalling record of delivering things on time and on price.

As it is nuclear we will have a nightmare with all the objections to planning and then years to evict Swampy and co.

You’re perfectly correct. Unfortunately, we don’t have a very effective government running our country now and, even worse, nothing better on the horizon…

…apart from the possibility of Reform UK who could, I believe given the chance, return this country to what it once was.

We shall see, but I’m afraid I don’t hold out much hope as most voters won’t stick their necks out! :thinking:

The PM revealed state support when he unveiled the 10-point plan for a green industrial revolution last autumn, and things are already moving forward.

Then:
Rolls-Royce has almost completed the feasibility stage in the development of its UK small modular reactor (SMR) and in May will focus on securing investment, its chief technology officer, Paul Stein, said yesterday. The technology will undergo the Generic Design Assessment (GDA) process with UK regulators in 2024 and will be ready for grid use five years later, he said.

I understand that it isn’t exactly fast but it’s not ten years away either, and it would take at least as long to build 1 conventional nuclear power plant.
Planning?
They’re much, much smaller so planning poses much less of a problem.