101 year old Nazi sentenced to prison

I don’t know what to think about this

Part of me is glad he saw justice before he died and that these horrible tings aren’t just being forgotten about

Less we forget indeed

And I can see it might bring closure to any survivors and their families

And he probably won’t do any prison time. They won’t put him in if he’s too frail and his appeal will take a tear, so he’ll be 102

But another part of me is a bit worried by seeing such a very old man wheeled into court to answer for crimes he committed 70 years ago

I just don’t know, what do you think?

1 Like

‘Justice must not only be done but must be seen to be done ‘
It’s not justice it’s too late for that but at least it has been seen .

The crimes committed by the nazis were horrendous, he was part of those crimes, he shouldn’t escape no matter how long ago it was, and how old he is…

It does to some extent, but the historical horror still remains as a memory never to be forgotten.

2 Likes

@maree - I have not heard anything about this - is there a linky?

1 Like

Former Nazi camp guard sentenced to 5 years for Holocaust atrocities - CNN

@LongDriver - thank you!

1 Like

I always think how angry I was - and so many hundreds of others were too - to know that Jimmy Savile escaped justice by dying before the horrific truth about him was exposed.

So yes, it doesn’t matter how old he is, or how long ago the crimes were. He has now faced justice and been exposed for what he really was. And that, in my book, is right and proper.

3 Likes

Bathsheba beat me to it J Savile that piece of filth escaped justice .
I’m glad at 101 this nazi is finally to receive his well deserved punishment.
Just a shame it won’t be a long sentence.

I’ve got a dog in this fight. There is no doubt that the Nazi government were guilty of horrendous acts, my wife and I learned that a good number of our extended family were “exterminated” or otherwise killed. BUT in my opinion there comes a point when a line should be drawn. Prosecuting old men is much more about blind revenge than punishment.

1 Like