Your book recommendations

Flippin heck, you lot get through a lot of books :lol: I used to read a lot in my youth but honestly don’t seem to have the time now. I recently read ‘Marley & Me’ (John Grogan) which I must say I quite liked ("tho I hated his wife and her superficial reasons for having a dog) and ‘A Dog Abroad’ ( Bruce Foge) which I definately did NOT like.

The only author I can claim to have read every thing is Scott Fitzgerald who coined the phrase ‘The Jazz Age’ and if any of you have not read ‘The Great Gatesby’ and ‘The Last Tycoon’ I would strongly urge you to do so because IMO the films just do not do justice to his work.

The films rarely do justice to any books, IMO … …

Just light reading for me, Maeve Binchy,Erica James even Mr. T’s books [Alan Titchmarsh] I also liked The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton by Catherine Alliott. I like comfort reading, no scrub that, I just like comfort. :smiley:

One book I do notrecommend is Sara Palin’s new book:blush:

Amen to that, Buzzie!!!

Any Terry Pratchett fans out there? Just finished his latest: Unseen Academicals; had me ROTFL. His usual wry wit, humor and insight into human nature in a marvellous fantasy world. And of course, a happy ending.

I see the Queen has knighted him, it’s Sir Terry now.

I’m just wading through Christine Feehans ‘Dark’ series, I have read one of the ‘Leopard’ series also by the same author and it was one of those books that you just don’t want to put down, as are the others. I’m just waithing for the ones i haven’t read to come into the library for me!

The Journeyer by Gary Jennings.

I would even try to give a synopsis of this book, except to say you should read it. It is about Marco Polo.

I can thoroughly recommend “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” by Steig Larsson. It is part of a trilogy of his books, which can be read alone, but if one starts with The Girl… it does provide the background to the character. These are thrillers and Larsson delivered the books to his publisher and died before they were published, so was unaware of their huge success. He was only in his 50’s I believe. I read that he died intestate which meant that his long-time partner, of many years, did not get a penny of the royalties. Sad.

Oh yes! Excellent.

I had Stephen Fry’s “Moab is my Washpot” bought for me. Has anyone read this ?? I will let you know my verdict :wink:

I just finished Michael Palmer’s “Miracle Cure”, It’s been out for a while, it was in my stack of emergency books for when the weather keeps me from the library. YThe premise is a little far out, but all in all a good escapist read for a snowed-in day,

Fortunately I am an insomniac and have a lot of spare time to spend reading. Must admit I usually prefer crime novels, both because they are easy reading and the fact that they give an insight into the society of different countries.

Among my favourites are Ian Rankin, Peter James, Donna Leon, Andrea Camilleri, James Lee Burke, Ed McBain, James Crumley, Robert Wilson etc etc… the list just goes on

BUT - the book I read last night was in quite another cathegory;
The Bad Dog’s Diary - A Year in the Life of Blake, by Martin Howard was such a joy & great fun that I just have to recommend it to all dog lovers (& other animal lovers too). Just had to laugh out loud sometimes (making my own dog believing I’d turned mad I think).

Thanks Anna I shall be looking for Ayear in the life of Blake in the library.

I read most books by Michael Connolly, John Grisham, Lee Child, Clive Cussler, Dan Browm, Alan Folsom and loads more
Recently read for the second time was ‘‘Vulcan 607’’ about the Bombing raid on the Falklands Airport also read ‘‘Apache Dawn’’ about a tour of duty in Afghanistan I find a lot of books in ‘‘Charity Shops’’ and The Library for newer books. :-):-):slight_smile:

[B]Beyond Black[/B] by Hilary Mantel was the dramatised book reading during ‘Womans Hour’ for the last two weeks.
Very good, very dark - I look forward to actually reading it, as I’m sure there will be a lot more in the book than the radio drama.
Not for the squeamish but a ghost story for the 21st century maybe

Have read all of Mary Higgins Clark books and enjoyed everyone!

Reading the latest Judi Picoult “House Rules”, very good story.

Just been to the Library and stocked up- weather not looking too good long range view.

Joseph O’Connor- Redemption Falls.(Loved his book, Star of The Sea)
Ann Cleeves- Red Bones -( Criminal Investigator)
P.J.Tracy- Dead Run - " "
Mary Higgins Clark- Just Take My Heart. Thriller
Lee Child - Gone Tomorrow - Thriller.

Still reading Sebastian Faulks- A Week in December.

They should last me 3 weeks.

I have the new Jonathan Kellerman “Deception” and Elizabeth Peters “A River in the Sky” on hold at the library, will pick up Saturday. Both favorite authors of mine.