Your book recommendations

Ooops, CC, left out the apostrophe it’s Hill ! :blush:

What a difference an apostophe makes thanks, Eileen.

If they have hers, start with the earliest. Each is a stand-alone story, but she develops the characters as they go on; makes for a more enjoyable read.

One writer that I never grow tired of is Wilbur Smith. He must be getting quite old now and he writes historical adventure fiction.
For those new to him I would recommend to start with his first book “When the Lion Feeds”. This is the first in a trilogy about the Courtney twin boys, growing up in South Africa before the Boer War. Wilbur Smith is a Rhodesian (now Zambia and Zimbabwe) and he writes beautifully, in such wonderfully descriptive way about the African continent, ancient an modern - warts and all. I have copies of every book he has written, but prefer the earlier ones. I can highly recommend him although his writing can get a bit violent and shocking sometimes.

That sounds interesting, Aerolor, I’ll check the library online and see if any are there when I go tomorrow on my weekly trip.

Wilbur Smith is a favourite of Mr Mags, he’s read most of his books.

Light summer reading.

This author was recommended to me by a friend.
M.C.Beaton, she writes the Agatha Raisin series which I believe have been read on the Radio 4 by Penelope Keith.
I Got the 1st in the series- Quiche of Death as an into to the character.
She is a qwerky female just retired, settles in a Cotswold village, which she thinks is now a mistake.
It is well written and funny. A cross between Agatha Christy and Midsummer Murders. I am thoroughly enjoying it and intend to read the whole series.
Makes a nice change from all the deep dark thrillers I usually read.

I have read all of Agatha Raisin books they are good and I was sorry when I had read the whole series. I could imagine a 'Miss Marple’type television series.

I will also be looking for Wilbur Smith he sounds good. It is a good point to start at the begining of a authors books as the characters do grow and their background becomes important.

I got the Wilbur Smith The Quest at the library today, only one that was on the shelves. Will report.

I have read Wilbur Smith and have enjoyed.

Finished Crisis by Robin Cook it was very very good. although it is about a malpractice court case it really puts over the authors feelings about concierge medicine which is growing in America and is particularly highlighted in the death’s of welknown entertainers such as Michael Jackson.

I am now in the limbo state of having just finished one book and about to start another. This time it’s going to be Lyn Andrews whose heroins are usually hardworking and gutsy lasses from Liverpoor and Ireland.

Glad you found one - there are a few about Egypt and Taita. The Egyptian ones are a bit of a departure from his earlier works and are more into the realms of fantasy. I tend to prefer his earlier works on S.Africa, but Taita is an interesting character - hope you enjoy it.

There are others in the system; this was the only one available at my branch. If I enjoy it (I like that period of Egyptian history), will put a hold on some of the others, especially the South African ones.

For those who love crime novels I recommend Mari Jungstedt. Her plots are set in Gotland - a Swedish island in the Baltic sea. ‘Unspoken’, ‘Unseen’ and ‘The inner circle’ are books by her translated into english.

I’ll check the library for Jungstedt, Anna; I do like a good crime novel. I’m enjoying the Smith “Quest”, not what I thought it would be (somehow I had thought it was in the Ankenaten era). but a thoroughly good read do far.

Has anyone read Mike Pannetts books, Tales of a Yorkshire bobby etc? A bit of country life and the villains, sometimes funny , a nice relaxing read.

J D Robbs In Death series. I think Ive read about 30 of then now and enjoyed them all. The characters are like old friends. You can`t beat a steamy serial killer book.

Read two of his three books, they are very relaxing and full of old fashioned common sense. What a nice man he sounds.

Travel/nature

Arabian Sands by William Thesiger
Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez
Riding the Iron Rooster Paul Theroux
Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Fantasy

Malazan book of the Fallen series

Espionage

Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn
Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva

I very much enjoyed this book. I was disappointed with the movie because they cut a lot out.

http://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1409595968i/929.UY475_SS475.jpg

At the moment I’m reading. https://galewarning.org/book/the-facts-of-life/ It is very good.