Yeeeesssss - I can retire!

Some divide and conquer.

May you find dividends and conquer!

Swim beat me too it.

Don’t miss out Primus on a decent pay out, it will make significant difference. If you’ve been there many years then they HAVE to pay you a pot of cash IF they want to make you redundant.

It tends to become a bit of a game. Such employers very often begin the process of “managing a person out” of the organisation which basically means making life miserable for them so that they quit voluntarily. That then means the company doesn’t have to pay you out.

It is possible that this process has already begun with you, which is why you are finding things unpalatable.

It is a game, nothing more.

Don’t let them beat you at such a game.

Don’t quit.

Play the game.

That means reporting serious changes to your role. Any longer hours or additional workload and so on. Go through the proper HR procedures, get things noted down in your yearly appraisal reviews and so on. Raise a grievance case if you have to.

Is there a union presence in your company? If so, get involved. They will ensure you get your pay-out.

Remember, if they have to pay you £000s to make you compulsory redundant then they WILL try to manage you out instead so they don’t have to cough up. This is YOUR money that you earned through long years of work. You deserve it.

If you become aware of any rounds of redundancies in the company, compulsory redundancies, then tender your VOLUNTARY redundancy at that point and raise awareness of it. Many people don’t want to be made redundant and will get behind you if you volunteer.

Play the game imho.

Best

Realist

Pleased your meeting went well Primus and that you have some decent choices for the future.

Primus, this is fantastic news. Well done on getting everything sorted out :038:

For a man such as yourself who has worked his way up and put in hard graft without shuffling paper about on a desk all his life, you have earned your retirement and I wish you a very happy one. make the most of it and find plenty of things to do with your time :cool:

I’m some years behind you but after a very long and torturous situation paying off some horrendous debts, my first milestone comes this October when I can dip into my pension at age 55, which I will use to settle a nasty consolidation loan and pay off everything I own too. Also, I’ll get a new bathroom done, pay my wife’s debts off, get our accounts back into the black and finally be able to get a job again working normal daytime hours.

But enough of me, you enjoy yourself bud. It’s a long time coming, but now your retirement is here it’s worth the wait :023:

Good for you, sir!

Great news Primus!
I’m really pleased for you

I’m going to have a chat with my financial/pensions adviser very soon too

I don’t want to be teaching past 55 if I can help it…

It’s not really like that realist, I probably have a job for life there, it’s just that I was TUPE,d over from my last company to this company, the best way to describe them is that they know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, they tend to throw money at problems, I really don’t want to be part of this, there’s no union although my wife is in a union and I also am by proxy if you know what I mean, I just want a way out , and if I can stick another year then it’s an extra 20 grand on one of my pensions, but if push comes to shove, then I’ll stick two fingers up to them and hand in my notice, although I’ll be charged for the gas course I’ve recently done, I’m just glad I’ve got options now but we’ll see

Yes rhian, life’s too short to get too old to enjoy things I’m quite surprised by just how big my pensions are…if I draw the whole lot, I will be in the higher tax bracket :shock:

It’s quite surprising how things work out, there’s me thinking my pension is worth jack, when I can take a large lump sum right now, your turn will come mate, hang in there…

Thanks Primus, I will :cool:
I was surprised too how much it’s worth, obviously after 25% the tax man grabs some but I’m not bothered because it’s worth taking out as much as I need to do up the house and pay everything off rather than scrimp an save later on when I’m no longer working. It’s all looking good and I can’t wait until October to get this enormous weight off my mind. :cool:

I too was TUPE’d over when the huge IT dept I worked for was outsourced. We had very good Ts&Cs so TUPE was good.

If I had decided to simply up sticks and quit I would have lost out hugely. Towards the final 3-4 years there I really had had enough of the imbeciles in management who were useless. But I stuck it out because I knew my terms were good. Eventually they wanted to do a huge round of redundancies and so were obliged to first ask for volunteers.

At that point I enquired what it would be worth to me as a pay-off and it was very significant. Let’s say between £50,000 and £100,000 was what they had to pay me for voluntary redundancy. All benefits I had earned through long loyal service. If I had simply quit, I would have gotten nothing. So I walked away with a big pay-off and a great pension and never looked back.

So all I am saying is don’t throw that kind of money away. Depends how many years you have worked there of course.

Well with continuation of service it will be 30 years, but I doubt they would pay me off, they’re all about profit, but we live in hope as they say, and if it were offered I’d bite their arm off, if I can wait until next year, I’ll get an extra 20k on one of my pensions, I’ll just have to see, I just want out and this is a way,

Wow ok, 30 years is around what I had. You’d be mad to give up that kind of pay-off imho. Understand, THEY HAVE to pay you that money IF you are made redundant. It’s the law. Even the UK minimum redundancy is worth something but I’m sensing that like me your TUPE’s Ts&Cs will involve some “proper” redundancy payments.

This is the UK minimum “Statutory Redundancy Pay”

Employees get:

• 1.5 weeks’ pay for each full year of employment after their 41st birthday
• a week’s pay for each full year of employment after their 22nd birthday
• half a week’s pay for each full year of employment up to their 22nd birthday

Length of service is capped at 20 years and weekly pay is capped at £525. The maximum amount of statutory redundancy pay is £15,750.

Defo worth investigating what they would have to pay you and defo worth asking if they would like you to go VR route.

Congratulations

Thing is realist, I signed one of their contracts, a few months after they took over, at the time I didn’t think I’d still be with them, nice as it would be to get any sort of payout, there’s no sign of any redundancies on the horizon, I wish there was…

What kind of contract? Were’nt you TUPE’d from previous company? You didn’t sign away those terms did you?

Not sure , I probably did, would have to check the, contract, although isn’t their something about TUPE being valid even years later, even if you sign a contact that is deemed detrimental?

You will never look back I am semi retired now and totally loving life the ability to walk away when stress/systems/procedures get too much is a big “take a breath” way of looking at life it does not mean you will walk away it means you could you CHOOSE to stay rather than having too…the Ability to walk away is sometimes all you need to continue.
The feeling of being trapped is not good for peoples state of mind.

Do you know kazz, that’s exactly lt, knowing I have a way out and can choose to stay or go , has somehow lifted the burden if you know what I mean,

Exactly