Would you open up to a chatbot therapist?

I think the OFC Bot should have a couple of sessions :grin:

Would I ?
I would not .

Although I see some might find it helpful ,especially the lonely.

1 Like

No, Nope, Never. :flushed:

Dangerous, I think?

I can see the attraction of talking something out with something impersonal, a bit like talking to yourself, really

No complications about personalities or feeling judged, and no embarrassment

But itā€™s not a therapist, is it? Itā€™s a commercial thing usually, owned by a company and recorded. Could they be trusted not to misuse your information?

It would be a prime way to manipulate somebody, adverts etc or even more sinister, influence your thinking, political, moral, philosophical, whatever?

And the company have complete control over your ā€œfriendā€ that you bond with, they can delete it or modify it at will or use it for their own purposes?

They recently removed the ability for sex and erotic talk, for instance? And I know it sounds pervy but some vulnerable people and lonely really did have an emotional and and sexual bond with the bot that was just stripped away from them instantly

I thought this article on it was good for thought

I also wonder if they will encourage people to depend on the bot, and then up prices, a bit like drug dealers getting people hooked

1 Like

I doubt it - I donā€™t even ask Siri to find out the weather forecast or a train timetable, so I canā€™t imagine baring my soul to Siri - and Iā€™ve never invited Alexa into my home.

My partner has been trying out AI on his computer, though.
I donā€™t fully understand what he is doing but he is building a new instrument panel to install in his boat, with lots more test functions and information displays than the old panel has. Each different function requires some complicated electronics and programming, so it is a long and time consuming job.
Heā€™s recently started testing out AI and asking the bot to calculate things and write command strings and things to do with programming electronic chips - it all looks like gobbledy gook to me but my fella is quite impressed with it - apparently, he only has to type a question or ask the question via the computer microphone, and the bot creates what he asks it to.
So far, heā€™s only tested it with questions he has already worked out for himself, so he can see how accurate it is and it seems very efficient so far - and so very fast!

In a wordā€¦NO.