Windows 10 Cumulative Updates KB4598229 & KB4598242 released

Oh, I didn’t know about any ‘footprint’. I thought that Windows 10 automatically defragments on a regular basis.

Oh no. The footprint left behind by all windows updates have to be removed manually via the disc clean-up tools in the control panel.
System & Security → Freeup Disc Space → Clean-up system files → then OK to remove via Windows Update Clean-up.
When that has finished you will need to defrag or trim the SATA or SSD. After that your registry cleaner can be deployed to remove any scars left in the registry.

Oh, I’m not going to go to all that trouble!
I have plenty of space on my hard disc, so I’ll leave it all there as it doesn’t seem to be doing any harm.

When this computer turns its toes up, or hopefully just before, I’ll transfer everything I need to the new one. Hopefully, I’ll be able to do that without taking all the junk and left-overs.

Talking of which, the next one I’ll make sure has an SSD, perhaps as well as a conventional hard drive. I’d love to be able to turn on and have the thing accessible pretty much instantly!

BIB is new to me, having only recently acquired an SSD PC …:shock:

So I investigated:

How to ensure TRIM is enabled on Windows 10 to keep an SSD at top performance

TRIM is an ATA command set that was originally designed for the purpose of keeping a Solid State Drive at its optimal performance throughout its lifespan.

The TRIM feature allows Windows 10, or any supported operating system, to notify an SSD which blocks of data are no longer in use and can be safely wiped out to be writable again. Having this operation done ahead of time improves performance, as the drive won’t have to spend time erasing a particular block when space is needed to store new data, ensuring the SSD reaches its advertised lifespan.

While the operating system should properly detect and enable TRIM automatically, sometimes this may not happen. In this Windows 10 guide, we’ll show you the commands to make sure TRIM is configured and how to enable it when it’s not.

How to check TRIM is enabled in your Windows 10 PC

Making sure that TRIM is enabled on Windows 10, you only need to use a command using the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.

Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
Type the following command and press Enter:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

Explanation: If after executing the fsutil command with the DisableDeleteNotify you get a result of zero (0), then it means that TRIM is enabled, and no further action is required. However, if after running the command you see a result of one (1), then it means that TRIM is disabled.

How to enable TRIM on your Windows 10 PC

When TRIM isn’t enabled on Windows 10, you need to do the following:

Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

After running the command, you will notice the same DisableDeleteNotify = 0, which indicates that the feature is enabled.

How to disable TRIM

If at any time for any reason you need to disable TRIM, you need to do the following:

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 1

For TRIM to work, both the operating system and the Solid State Drive must support the feature, and it must be enabled in the operating system.

I checked and my settings are 0 … :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip … :023:

Microsoft is pushing KB4023057 yet again to improve Windows 10 Update

A cumulative update for Windows 10 is making another appearance as Microsoft prepares users’ systems for more significant service updates further down the line.

This is far from being the first time Microsoft has pushed the KB4023057 update, and it’s not hard to understand why. This update improves the reliability of the Windows Update Service components which will prove so essential when a bigger feature update is released later in the year.

The KB4023057 update is aimed at many different versions of Windows 10, but only the consumer editions; Microsoft stresses that “this update is not intended for use in enterprise environments”. The company describes the update, saying:

I’ll try it on my old desktop first … :shock:

Yes do ,then I’ll look at mine .

OK … I’ll jump first … :lol:

It only took a minute … no restart required … :!:

Trim maybe but it just increases the wear rate of an SSD to defrag it. I doubt any modern tools would even attempt it. I’m pretty sure Windows itself won’t although it may indicate that it has done “something”.

I just checked - it looks like Win 10 automatically retrims SSDs.

https://i.postimg.cc/3Rbb87X2/windows-disk-optimise.jpg

Whatever it is I don’t want it, I only accept security updates now :twisted:.

Well said, DH!

I doubt if very many still use defrag, unless they have small drives.

“Starting with the May 2019 Update, the system requirements for hard drive size for clean installs of Windows 10 as well as new PCs changed to a minimum of 32GB. The 32GB or larger drive requirement is set to leave space for users to install apps and to keep data on the device.”

As for SSDs, the manufacturers appear to discourage any such action, apparently on the basis that the SSD could get tochy depending on use.

I have 3 HDDs - 250GB (Laptop), 500 GB (Acer Desktop), 1 TB (Dell Desktop) - and, I defrag them all … :!:

But I don’t use Windows Defrag or let it takes its’ course - I use Glarysoft “Disk SpeedUp” and, on the older machines, it makes a significant difference to performance … :slight_smile:

How To Defrag Windows 10 and Is It Worth It?

By default, Windows 10 has scheduled optimization turned on automatically. At least once a week, your disk drives, namely the C: drive, are automatically optimized to help your computer run more efficiently or analyzed to determine if optimization is required.

However, even though Windows 10 can accurately detect the type of storage and handle defragmentation of the files automatically, it may not always be as optimal as it lets on. This is usually because the PC isn’t left on long enough for the optimization to take effect which prevents proper maintenance.

So every once in a while it’s best to manually perform analysis and optimization on your hard disk drive to ensure proper maintenance. If you discover any file fragmentation during your analysis, then your Windows 10 computer may be in need of a defrag.

I’ll continue to make use of “active hours” (8am to 2am - I ‘work’ long hours!) for as long as I can. It’s not that I don’t trust Microsoft… I just don’t trust Microsoft!

If after a few weeks of having avoided it, and having not heard of any problems, I might think about allowing it.

I’m a trailblazer, you see. I’m leading the drive to persuade Microsoft to OFFER updates to anyone who wants them, and to leave it to the consumer to decide if and when they want them.

Me too! I’ve just installed the optional quality update: 2021-02 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4601382) on two computers.

I’ve now previewed it but find no noticeable difference. Both computers still work OK though. Here’s what’s in the update…

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/february-24-2021-kb4601382-os-builds-19041-844-and-19042-844-preview-1a7ed2b4-017d-2644-a1e8-dd6bf14cba76

Exactly. You and others who are expert in these matters are far more likely to become aware of any potential problems than I am.

I don’t have anything particularly useful to do on the computer these days. Also got a few computers. Got all my back-ups and know the ‘get out of trouble’ procedures, so I am in a position of not having to worry all that much if something goes wrong.

Odd this, as the geek, in that link, says “Is defragmentation Required?”

and goes on to say:-

“The short answer is, no. Defragmentation is not required. Is it worth it? We would say that it’s very worth it …”

We wouldn’t!

:cry:

Of course, it’s not “required” … :102:

The thing is, Windows 10 takes care of your computer all on its own. Even if you don’t want to perform a manual defragmentation, your operating system will still perform one for you. Your computer will continue to perform well while active so long as you don’t miss a scheduled maintenance.

However, if you find things are beginning to slow down or, consider yourself a power user and prefer having more control over what goes on with the inner workings of your computer, the above steps will provide that for you.

I’m a “power user and prefer having more control over what goes on with the inner workings of my computer” … :wink:

Each to his own … :!:

KB4598242 was downloaded on to my computer on the 15th January 2021…With no noticable differences…:102:

I’ve just noticed that PrivaZer performs a TRIM on my new desktop SSD … :shock:

I use several things including malawarebytes & CCleaner, but it is all disabled to do anything but scan when requested to do so. For me the most important thing is. When I use Windows & I do not always use Windows. But when I do, I do not do so as an Admin. Thus nothing can load onto the PC, unless it asks permission to do so.

I also use Ubunto, which is a Linux system, which I find to be very good & much faster than windows. I use ubunto off a USB drive. Windows is on the hard drive.