Why is it pronounced Arkansaw?

Milnegavie in Glasgow is pronounced Mull - Guy .
I find it so much easier to write it down on a piece of paper when buying train tickets that particular destination… seriously :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve lived around the world and people from the same country, pronounce cities and towns differently. Batin Rouge, New Orleans, Paris, Frankfurt, Italy, Hawaii, Munich, Taegue, etc., it all depends where your from on how it pronounced.
Names, I see mispronounced all the time, Jesus, Geoff, Sean, are so wrong to me. This is why English, to me, us one of the most fouled up languages there is because it does not follow a pattern.
Languages that are called the same but spoken totally different around the world. You can understand it but different words and meanings are different, English, Spanish, French and German.

Only in their lunch hour, the rest of the time they are mostly German I believe.

Language is fluid, constantly changing and evolving. For example it’d be pretty hard work having a chat in the pub after a few meads with someone from the time of Chaucer.
Not that I actually know anyone from the time of Chaucer, mind you, some of our more senior members might :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

chaucer2-692798081

3 Likes

St Louis?
The song sings “saint louwee”. A french person would say it this way too.
The locals say “saint lewis”.
Go figure.

2 Likes

Whatever are you suggesting Chilli?..
:open_mouth:
It always amused me when I listened to ‘Sally Traffic’ on the BBC reporting on traffic congestion and would mention ‘Toaster’ ???
She was actually referring to Towcester…
Quote:-
toaster

It’s not just Worcester and Leicester.In 2010, a coffee shop in Towcester displayed giant portraits of celebrities painted in Marmite on toasted bread—which is appropriate, since Towcester is pronounced, yes, "toaster."8 Jan 2018

1 Like

1 Like

fr-usa-flag
French Americans’ Contributions to Our Nation:-

https://americansall.org/legacy-partner/french-americans-contributions-our-nation#:~:text=French%20chefs%20and%20restaurants%20bolstered,okra%2C%20artichokes%2C%20and%20tomatoes.

The rapid assimilation of French immigrants into American society enabled Americans to study and emulate French culture, manners, cuisine, fashion, art, and literature. French Americans mainly disseminated information and acted as role models. French chefs and restaurants bolstered the popularity of French cuisine and made the first yeast breads in North America while bringing technical farming skills that vastly improved American rice and wines. *

Huguenots

grew and prepared the first okra, artichokes, and tomatoes.

Imported French attire gained popularity in the early nineteenth century, particularly items such as gloves and lace. Around 1850, the French custom of wearing beards swept across the United States and the French impressionists influenced American art. The Huguenots introduced several skilled crafts, including sophisticated techniques of weaving, leather dressing, lace making, and felt manufacture.

French military officers made major contributions to our War of Independence and after the War, France became America’s first ally. Pierre L’Enfant became a city planner for George Washington and was responsible for the layout of the nation’s capital. And in 1876, plans were drafted to create the Statue of Liberty, a joint effort between France and the United States.

When Napoleon sold the entire state of Louisiana to the US, it included the city of New Orleans, which sits at the mouth of the Mississippi river. The city still has a thriving French quarter that features classic French architecture and restaurants named after characters from France’s history pages. And in New York City, the first gas-powered taxicabs were imported from France in 1907.

french-frenchman

magayou-trump

1 Like

One rarely reads or hears today that immigrants have made a positive contribution to society. The Huguenots are also appreciated for the same reason over here but it did take some time.

1 Like

The boys ‘ s name Louis is often pronounced Loo-wee but it should be Loo-iss for English speakers because we don’t pronounce Paris as Par-ee do we?

1 Like

I know, all true. I’ve been and they call it Saint Lewis. I’ve been in the crazy, tiny train that goes up the inside of the Gateway Arch. I’ve seen the paddle boats on the Mississippi. All in Saint Lewis.
But the film Meet me in St Louis says it like Saint Lowee. Just saying.
Clang, clang, clang went the trolley
Ding, ding, ding went the bell
Zing, zing, zing went my heartstrings
As we started for Huntington Dell

2 Likes

But then we also have Lewis. Could get confusing so I think the pronunciation of Louis is correct.

1 Like

I say Arkansass all the time I believe. But then again I live next door state wise. We say Howdy and Ya’ll come back now…so maybe its the local accents.

1 Like

Don’t get me started on the pronunciation of the word croissant :croissant:

2 Likes

Qwasont!.. :smile:

1 Like

Qwason ! :grinning:

2 Likes

is the ‘T’ silent Mr Smith?
:thinking:

1 Like

I don’t know but it sounds more French to me without it :grinning:

2 Likes

Why no “R”? The French are famous for rolling their r’s.
Or am I thinking of Inspector Clouseau?

1 Like

He was always falling on his R’s.

1 Like