Why is covid killing people of colour (BBC1)

Hi

I take Vitamin D Tablets.

I need to because I am inside most of the time.

I can only do my exercise inside, low temperatures are not good for angina.

Hi

The only unemployed around here are white, and come from families with a history of unemployment.

They are also, frequently, obese and tattooed and foul mouthed.

They have the lowest success in both GCSE and A levels.

An uncomfortable truth.

Nothing to do with Minimum Wage, the hospital cleaners and porters were white, the nurses and above BAME.

Hallelujah!.. I totally agree with this…^^^^^^^^^
However, when I was in Barbados, most people were obese and smoked their heads off. Vitamin D is good, but it’s not that good, and black skin does not absorb as much sunlight as white skin, so even in Barbados with all the sunshine it doesn’t mean there isn’t a Vit D deficiency. Obviously there are many other factors that determine the spread and outcome from the Covid 19 virus, but I believe sunshine and Vitamin D are the best weapons to have at your disposal. There is a good reason why viruses in the UK are worst in winter. From the end of October to the end of March, not only don’t we go out as much, when we do there won’t be a lot of skin showing.
It’s time that some black people realised that white people are not the cause of their problems.

Too many generalisations
Some people are obese and some smoke in Barbados most are not and dont .It is the second country for centenarians none of whom are obese if you can’t get enough vit D in the tropics you won’t get it anywhere .

:023::023:

Black adults are the most likely of all ethnic groups to be obese. In part it’s cultural and in part lifestyle or both. For example overweight women are considered attractive in some black cultures. Obesity leads to diabetes, heart problems and other health issues.

In terms of Asians there is a genetic prevalence to developing diabetes particularly in those from the Indian subcontinent. So they have to try extra hard to avoid diabetes and this makes them more prone to higher risk in covid outcomes.

Those two factors combined with a sedentary lifestyle and questionable diet habits, along with deprivation and crowded lifestyle is IMO to blame for higher proportional incidence among BAME communities. As well as Vit D deficiency etc.

That’s rubbish Muddy, and you know it is…:009: Most are and do…

I’ve never seen a slim Barbadian woman over the age of forty…(so somebody will produce an actress or model to dispute that, but that wouldn’t be the average would it) That’s not a generalisation, and every bloke I met smoked. And you said it yourself Muddy, most of them like rum, and it’s the strong stuff too. How are you going to absorb sunlight to release Vitamin D with black skin, that has evolved to be black for protection from the sun…

Whatever is happening in Barbados can’t be compared with lifestyles in the UK. There’s scientific proof that eating saturated fat foods when you’re stressed leads to sticky plaques, eat the same thing on a beautiful island where you are relaxed and it won’t lead to heart disease.

I lived 10 years in Barbados I think I know .

Something in that ( plenty of sun there) I’ve been pondering on, but is it because of the colour of their skin they’re not absorbing it , even in their native habitat ?
I’d like to see stats on their Vit D levels .

Dark skin does absorb vitamin D from the sun, it just takes a lot more sunshine to generate as much absorption as that of white skin.

They took his vit D level on the programme it was average not good or bad.

Indeed.
We’ve just been to Bradford only yesterday to visit my dad’s grave. That too is in a bit of a state, but I have resolved to go back in better weather to clear up the weeds, etc.

Back on topic, though, yes Bradford is really a sad city now. There are still some well-built stone buildings, but there are also many ‘cardboard boxes’ stemming from the '60s which is when the rot began to set in. Not a pleasant place to live now, though Marge’s mother still lives there, but at least not in the inner city.

Marge makes me take them too. I do what I’m told!

Bottom line is, they tried to evaluate these figures to suit their own agenda.

Firstly, they tried to blame deprivation for the Covid deaths, then when they realised doctors who died were well off, they immediately blamed systemic racism - and when they were told that the latest research, based on fact, debunked their theories, they simply condemned the researcher’s findings because it didn’t fit into their warped thinking.

Racists stirring up a storm and backed by the BBC.

In my opinion it didn’t come over like that at all.

The latest is that not enough ‘people of colour’ are volunteering for covid vaccine testing. The reason? They can’t get the time off work. :shock:

The race card is a very valuable weapon. I can understand why so many make use of it.

Of course, that is our own fault for providing them with the weapon!

Lifestyle, choice, misinformation…? Incorrect statistics or insufficiently large sampling group…? There’s nothing I can do about it anyway, so I honestly don’t concern myself with the matter at all. Not my problem.

:038:

:038::038: