Why do parents allow their children to dictate?

I don’t think they will Rox ! :unamused:
A small smack on the hand or leg lets young children know they have gone too far and as they get older they learn to listen if they don’t want to be smacked again.
Sadly some people don’t know the difference between a smack and a beating so, thanks to the more brutal people, corporal punishment was stopped in schools & by children’s parents.
I can’t remember ever being punished at school as I was a good girl… maybe because I knew that my mum and dad would soon find a way to punish me that was much worse… like not playing out for a week. :fearful:
Once you teach small children to respect those in charge they soon learn that it is better to just listen to the rules… if they don’t they have to suffer the punishment given!

2 Likes

I would add :-
8. Pocket money had to be earned by doing chores - laying the table for meals or washing up after meals etc., It was given once per week on Saturday mornings and when it was gone - it was gone.

1 Like

Or washing Dads Car.

1 Like

Generally these indulged children who get whatever they want at home are the ones who disrupt classes in school too. If children aren’t taught boundaries at home they won’t accept boundaries in school.

2 Likes

left overs

3 Likes

Possibly not in later, adult life either where there are many expectations, rules, and laws by which we all have to live or face the consequences.
:grinning:

4 Likes

I don’t agree about the children riding their scooters to school.

I live opposite a bike path which is the route to a local primary and see the mums and dads with their kids on scooters everyday

What a lovely, happy start to the day it is, so much better than taking them in the car.

The children are having fun, getting some exercise and fresh air, which will wake up their brains ready for learning and it gets them there faster with no dawdling.

Lovely for the mums and dads to see them have a happy start to the day and carrying their little bags for them is no trouble, is it? A lot get hung on the handles of younger children’s buggies anyway.

They will still be responsible for their bags and belongings when they get there. And I often see the mums and dads riding the scooters home! What fun to be young and enjoying your family life.

It’s just a modern way of doing things and doesn’t mean the children’s are dictating. And I do enjoy seeing them

The foot propelled types are reasonably okay, but in my area more parents have been indulging their children with those pesky missiles know as E-scooters. Although illegal, the parents allow their children to ride them willy-nilly without any regard for anyone else. All you hear behind you is a string of abuse if anyone dares to get in their way.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any little ones on electric scooters yet, the ones who go by my window are going to primary school.

It is a combined bike path/ pedestrian path divided into two lanes so if older kids used the bike lane for electric scooter I don’t suppose it would matter too much, there’s plenty of room for cyclists to pass

Yes, electric scooters on the pavement are a real nuisance and dangerous but I think they are the future, but licensed on the road. A lot greener than cars, it’s a good way to get around, especially in cities and urban environments

Your Dad had a car Susie?..
:flushed:

Too many distractions for kids these days…
:018:

1 Like

I tend to agree with you Foxy, but then didn’t our parents & grandparents say the same about us ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I don’t agree with a lot of kids ways but then I remember mums saying " Don’t come to me for sympathy when you are ill after going out in that mini skirt"
Kids want to control their own lives, just like we did, and we all know that a lot of what the older people say is right! Kids don’t want to be be controlled by what older people say, but on serious matters most usually learn who was right as they grow up. :smiley:

Ha ha yes, Mum was always saying that to me Twink…
:roll_eyes:

Seriously though, the distractions today are far more addictive than the ones we had deal with. Very few kids or even adults, go anywhere without music or access to social media these days. Everything was left at the school gates in our day, and as an apprentice in an engineering factory I can’t imagine what my boss would have said if we used a mobile phone while working, and music was banned except for the day before Christmas holidays. There would have been quite a few engineers with missing digits if such distractions were allowed at work. It’s probably a good job that all the small engineering factories have closed down and we don’t have manufacturing in this country anymore.

1 Like

You are right, but in our day discipline still existed at school as well as home. How the hell do you now stop young teenagers doing wrong things, when worldwide social media is encouraging them? :anguished:

And the pc brigade and their softly softly approach, oooo mustn’t upset the kids now, some parents too.

Someone was telling me the other day her 12 year old went to hang out with her cousins house a ten minute walk back, she phoned her dad and said come pick me up I cant be bothered walking home, and he did!!!

When my two were teens we became a two car family, they thought I would become their personal taxi driver and they were sorely disappointed. Only time I picked either of them up was from very late finishing school Christmas Parties.

I think they had almost the same rules for children at Auschwitz .

Good grief, Bruce, that is a bit extreme!

It is true that some of our contemporaries had fairly harsh childhoods and either brought up their own children in a similar way, or went for the opposite

Neither the children nor the adult should dictate, it should be about loving, co-operative family life

I think it’s lovely the way a lot of children nowadays are having a gentler, kindlier upbringing. They are not things of evil who have to be forced into submission by harsh regimes and rules or they will destroy society!

1 Like

Thinking about this. I suppose, kids these days need to be confident as it’s a big bad world out there.

1 Like

Isn’t it true though? Though perhaps the rules applied to the adults too.