Why are World Cup players wearing strange face masks on the pitch?

They have raised comparisons to Hannibal Lecter and the Phantom of the Opera, but the strange face masks popping up on World Cup pitches in Qatar are not fashion statements but hi-tech protective devices.

The masks are made from materials like polycarbonate and protect athletes who have sustained facial injuries, ensuring they can play on without risking further damage. Some are 3D printed to exactly fit a scan of the contours of each athlete’s face.

Croatian football’s golden boy Joško Gvardiol, 20, wore a distinctive black face mask during last week’s Group F showdown against Morocco and again on Sunday against Canada.

The RB Leipzig centre-back left the field after a collision with teammate Willi Orban in a match earlier this month, with scans later showing he had broken his nose and suffered minor injuries to his face and eyes. Gvardiol decided to wear the mask to protect himself from further damage.

A similar on-field collision left South Korea’s Son Heung-min, 30, with a fractured eye socket during a 1 November Champions League win. The Tottenham Hotspur star collided with Marseille defender Chancel Mbemba’s shoulder, prompting his immediate departure from the field.

Son Heung-min in a mask covering his forehead and cheekbones.

Son now sports a black carbon fibre mask, which he described as “more comfortable than I thought. It’s made of good material. It’s light, hard when worn on the face, and it’s a good material that can protect against impact. I was surprised that it was considerably lighter than I thought.”

I didn’t watch any World Cup football but I saw a photograph linked to today’s matches and wondered why a player was wearing a mask … :thinking:

1 Like

Using 3D scanning and 3D printing to make individual masks to exactly fit a person’s face, modelled for their particular sporting risks and injury protection sounds a brilliant use of modern technology.

There’s so many great technological advances out there providing new solutions to old problems - a lot of them I’m unaware of until I happen to see an article or programme about them.
Interesting stuff.

1 Like