Which childhood book made you look at life differently?

I was an avid reader as a child/Youth and read all the Enid Blyton stuff and I read the Hobbit at age 14 which made a big impression but the books that really stuck with me were Kes, Animal Farm, Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mocking Bird…all books we studied at Secondary school.
Surpassing even those though were the truly brilliant Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn… Absolute classic reading for a young teenager.

I agree

I agree with3 of your choices Moscow

Of mice and men,. Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn, booksl also enjoyed
were,North West Passage & Islands in the stream,I’m sure they
influenced my perceptions of life.

Best  Regards.   Donkeyman.

I read a lot as a child, Famous Five, Secret Seven, Just William and loved them all but I think the most inspirational book I read as a child was “Sailing alone around the world” by Joshua Slocum. Sadly not enough to make actually do it.

SO many new books for children now and I’m at a loss of which are the most rewarding for 9 yrs old girls.

I was never a great reader of story books myself, much preferred maps and history.

If anyone can suggest classic girls books that would keep the interest of 9yr olds , instead of such ones as the ‘Dairy of a Wimpy Kid’, or ‘David Walliams’

Are, e.g Black Beauty , Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, or The Secret Garden etc. all out of vogue now ?

I used to read the ‘Just William’ books, although I can’t remember the story line of any of them now. I do remember the village name of ‘Hadley’ and and of course the character of Violet Elizabeth Bott who would threaten to, “Scream and scream until I’m sick!” :slight_smile:

Similar choices

Almost  the  same  as  mine,Mick,  Hemingway  also had  a  big
influence  on  me.

Best   Regards.    Donkeyman.

As a Child in the late forties my reading was the Dandy and the Beano, could not afford the Eagle

But also the books about Biggles which as a 7 year old went to the Library to read.

I liked the comic strip, Alf Tupper, The tough of the track.

I did a lot of reading in the library at that age too.
They used to be nice and quiet then :slight_smile:

My aunt gave me a copy of ‘Jane Eyre’ for my 12th birthday - my Mother said that I would never be able to read it, which was a good incentive for me to prove her wrong! It has been my favourite book ever since and has been read many, many times.

The Cat Who Wished To Be A Man, by Lloyd Alexander.