Which business would you like in your neighbourhood?

We’ve got most businesses around here, we’re well taken care of, got all the supermarkets

Maybe a real fishmonger and a green grocer, I’ve got to go a bit farther afield for that

And the local young folk would love a Primark, nearest is Bristol

Greggs do a mighty fine take away breakfast deal drink and bacon egg sausage bap on the cheap that I used to have sometimes if travelling for work. And I’ve got a weakness for their Christmas slice, but I don’t think they’re one of life’s essentials

But neither is Waitrose, I always think they’re over priced and quite a small range.

And some of the customers fancy them self a bit. I once saw someone at the till with a pot noodle in their basket. I didn’t know Waitrose sold such things! I felt I should have called security on ‘em for lowering the tone :crazy_face::rofl:

I would like to see my bank return to our neighbourhood so we wouldn’t have to keep getting a bus into the town centre.

2 Likes

I agree with that Mags, my bank have sold out to virgin money and they have made it an almost totally online bank. The cash desks have been removed and two machines stand in their place in the old building in the town centre, which I reckon will be sold off before long.
If it wasn’t such a pain in the neck I would move my accounts to a more user friendly bank.
A nice bank in my village would be great, with a Greggs next door. I don’t know why people lump Greggs together with some of the fast food joints. Greggs, is a British company, and sell healthy fresh made sandwiches of all descriptions, all washed down with Yorkshire tea.

1 Like

All I could would like is a decent Post Office once more.
We’ve had three in the surrounding areas close now, and the one we had left has moved into a chemist shop in town! Most impracticle, as there is no where to park if you have parcels to carry, and anymore than about 3 people and there’s no more room in there.

3 Likes

@Mags &@ foxy I don’t know if you know but the post offices are now agents for most banks you can deposit and withdraw money from them you can even pay cheques at them…considering you have a PO that is.

1 Like

Wishbone, I used to be able to withdraw at my local P.O. but they wouldn’t let me pay in?
Have they changed the rules now then?

Oh Yes - you’ve just reminded me - everyone mourns the passing of the Post Office!
Our village post office closed down ages ago - if it wasn’t for the village church sorting out a post office service for us, there wouldn’t be any service at all from our village.
The Post Office service is operated from the Church building but is only open one afternoon a week, which is not ideal but better than nothing.

Meanwhile, in our nearest town, the once busy Post Office with half a dozen tills has also closed down and a small two till Post Office has been squeezed in at the back of a long, narrow shop run by WH Smiths. If you want to post anything there, you need to allow half an hour or longer to wait in the long queue which straggles right back along the aisles of the shop.

It’s awful.

Thanks wishbone, we do have a post office that is situated in a spa shop and like Boot, out large post office in town has closed down. The queues in the spa shop are horrendous at times and interfere with customers using the shop. The girls working in the post office bit don’t instill much confidence when discussing moving money around, and as they live local, I’m sure my monetary habits would soon be a talking point at the local bingo hall…Discretion is not one of their strongpoints
:flushed:

1 Like

It seems so Mups

1 Like

That’s worth knowing. Thank you.
All I need now is a post office! :grinning:

I would like to see something for the youngsters here, like a bowling alley, just somewhere they can gather and enjoy each other’s company, bringing the younger generation together.

I must be the only person in the world who doesn’t like Greggs…though I have to admit I haven’t been in one for years so maybe I wouldn’t be the best person to ask.

There are no shops in the village where I live although there is an honesty box for eggs and people leave out produce for free they’ve grown…not much of that in winter though.

It would be nice to have a village shop it doesn’t have to be big …just a little shop for essentials

You’ve never lived until you have tried a Greggs Tuna Crunch Summer…
:drooling_face:

1 Like

A Bike shop would be handy. :bike:

Is Greggs that place that sells those scrummy hot flaky pastries oozing cheese&onion goo, lunch on the go for about a quid …if so nah dont put one near me.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I forgot the old chestnut around here that has been a bone of contention for years

They closed the outdoor swimming pool in a seaside town not far from us and the residents have been hankering for it to be replaced for years

There’s still one about 45 minutes drive away and I mostly swim in the sea but it would be nice

My area along the south coast is fairly well served with most in easy reach, so my answer would but no extras thanks, but perhaps more frequent late busses into and out of the city would be an improvement to keep the already congested access roads lass congested. The City of Chichester always looks and sounds great on the TV, but for locals it can be a nightmare with grockles (visitors) swelling the numbers.

1 Like

There is an empty shop in our village and I would like to see it become a butchers. There used to be a butchers in the next village but the owners retired. Supermarket butchers are quite good but it isn’t the same as having a nice little butchers shop where the butcher gets to know you and your meat preferences.

An NHS dentist please.

We’re pretty well served where I live, with all the major supermarkets in very easy reach, as well as Lidl, Aldi and Co-op even closer, walking distance. An out of town retail park about 4 miles away has Dunelms, Hobbycraft, Smyths and a couple of ‘pound’ shops. And then we have a shop next to Aldi that is rather like The Range, a bit ramshackle, but has a huge range of goods from toys to stationery,DIY supplies to fancy dress outfits, as well as a very well stocked garden centre.

Sadly, though, our nearby high street (just a short walk from my house) seems to be full of cafes, barbers, nail technicians and charity shops, although we do have an Iceland.

What would I like? Well, the landlord doubled the rent on a wonderful little wool and haberdashery shop about 5 years ago, forcing it to close and become yet another cafe/sandwich bar. I miss that shop terribly, it was my go to for all haberdashery items and now I either have to buy little pre-packed plastic boxes of buttons in Hobbycraft, or order online. So another one of those please!